Home > Trip Reports > Whistler for Thanksgiving!!!

Whistler for Thanksgiving!!!

11/15/07
Canada BC
Posted by ThePositive1 on 12/14/07 5:47am
I think spending Thanksgiving weekend in Whistler Blackcomb is a great idea!  With only  a tenth of the mountain open, Aaron Johnson and I had skied more terrain than either of us have ever had done in our many years of skiing.  We hit different runs and lines every time we pointed our tips down the slopes.  It was amazing!  The start of the trip however, was not!

We were planning on leaving for B.C. very early in the morning on November 22nd, a very Happy Turkey Day for us because we were going to camp and ski at the best mountain resort in North America!  Our morning was at a very bad start when our fellow TAYer, the VW golf that had been a saint in our many ski trips and our attempts to complete turns for 12 months, was dead!  She may be fixable, but she wasn't not ready for this trip.  So, with our friends truck we look for a rental car place that was open on Thanksgiving...yeah right!  We stopped in to see how much it would cost to rent a U-Haul to go north, but it was not cheap!  So, we got on a bus to Sea-Tac and rented a car from Thriffy and finally got on the road by 930PM!  Not much fun but we were ready!

We got to our campground around 2AM which was about a mile from Whistler, got our site together and were in our sleeping bags by 230AM!  Not much sleep for ski bums because we were up by 7AM!  We cooked up some sausages and made some tuna sandwiches for lunch and drove to the mountain.  We were on the gondola by 9!  It was soo amazing!  If anybody has been there before, you know how beautiful it is there!

We hit soo many good lines on Whistler that day, but we loved staying in the trees because that's where the pow was!  If you stayed on some of the normal runs, you'd be hitting a lot of sharks!  Not soo good for skis that day, so if you were there, I hope that you brought rock skis!

That night we drank a bit...I mean a lot...cooked some steaks and chicken on the grill and then went into town.  We were too tired to stay out so we just retreated to our sleeping bags ready for the next day at Blackcomb.  We were on the gondola the next morning aorund 9AM and again, it was amazing!  We hit soo many gladed runs, it was rediculous!  We accually went to the far left side of Blackcomb (if you're looking the map) and hit the steep and deep pow lines in the glades!  We ended up having to negotiate down 2 waterfalls that were covered with pow pillows!  We helped some people that weren't in their elements down to the cat track as we traversed around the woods!  IT WAS AMAZING!!!!!

After a long drive back to the states, I look back and think of how amazing BC skiing is, I think I may live there some day when I'm done with school.  I thkn I need to go more north to find more turns so I can get them all year long! 

Reply to this TR

whistler-for-thanksgiving
ThePositive1
2007-12-14 13:47:10