Home > Trip Reports > December 8, 2007, Mount Amabilis

December 8, 2007, Mount Amabilis

12/8/07
Posted by Brooski on 12/11/07 12:30pm
If it's on a mountain and it's skiing I declare that it's a day of ski mountaineering. No matter that my gear consisted of ridiculously light skating skis and ultra-breakable carbon fiber poles. it was just the ticket for  a fine day out on a Cascade summit in the sunshine. The approach walk over I-90 was heinous. I almost fell on my butt several times on the icy parking lot (Might need to buy those new ultralight Camp crampons...). Once on the trail perfect corduroy beckoned me upward to the "Y".

Ahh, the first day of skating this season. It wasn't long before I was stopping to catch my breath every few hundred meters, all the while wondering why I have not made better use of the new gym membership. A few very nice, VERY fit skaters flowed on up the hill as I came to rest yet again. It seems that surround sound and high definition do not improve one's max vO2.

I finally herringboned up the last few k's, hoping that I would not be overtaken by a party of snowshoers. I had the "summit" all to myself. Tahoma gleamed mightily to the south and not a breath of wind.

The descent was dream-like: 2200 vertical of perfect dust on fresh groomed. Tele turns, parallel turns, tucking, standing and watching the world go by. Rest and repeat. There's nothing better than singing to oneself while sliding down a hill. It was me thirty years ago -- it was me thirty years from now. It was skiing, pure and simple.

Thus begins my 43rd year of skiing. With all the joy of a child only encumbered by this aging body. With renewed optimism and continued hopes for more smile-driven adventures in the mountains. Here's to all of you as the solstice approaches and the days grow longer once again. Have a great season!

- Bruce
Breathing the essence  of winter are you.... nice.

Assuming you didn't start skiing at age 6, we sound like a match (especially the part about the gym membership).  ::) 
This is my 6th yr of skiing if you don't count a couple yrs in CO in the 60's and it's all a joy: groomed, b/c, touring.  We should get out together sometime. 

Reply to this TR

december-8-2007-mount-amabilis
Brooski
2007-12-11 20:30:25