Home > Trip Reports > 12/8 Mt. Ellinor

12/8 Mt. Ellinor

12/8/07
WA Cascades East Slopes North
Posted by telemack on 12/9/07 2:15pm
    Lisa and I went for a look-see hike, so I optimistically brought skis.  Very clear day above the fog.  Only a little snow on FR 2419, then right at the middle trailhead there is a bad washout, passable only via 4 x 4.  Some fresh over the last 1-2 days.  Very little snow on the trail, then gradually more until we were on 1-2 feet in the summer talus field.  Not nearly enough coverage to ski the chute, though I saw someone climbing it. 
    Coverage was obviously solid before the floods:  huge avy debris crossed the trail in several places.  Hard, firm base up out of the trees, with a 2-4" dusting.  We got to the base of the big scree traverse, then I booted up into the chute on skiers's right to about 5500'.  The scree field had the best turns, dust on crust with some extra blown in, then it was jump turns and sidestepping through cliffs to grabby evening snow back in the talus for about 600 vf.
    Pretty high elevation/turns ratio!  What old snow still exists is firm but hollowed out near the ground, and uneven coverage.  More storms needed for good snowplay, but at least the road is accessible.  The weather was magnificent.  We hiked down to the spectacle of 3 purple-orange volcanoes hovering above the low-lying clouds of Hood Canal.
Sounds like my kind of skiing.  Take me up there some time!

You're on, Kenji.  We're talking post-holidays now.  Cheers.

Thanks for the running the recon mission Mack.  Do me a favor and check in weekly with a report so I can know just when it's ready for me.  Also that way you can establish good tire ruts so that I won't need to hike from the lower trailhead or below.

Yeah, that would be great.

Send me the open PO and you're good to go!

Mac,
nice recon!
I'd like to join that after holiday too
Merry xmas to you and Lisa! ;D

Have a fine trip to Hawaii

Reply to this TR

12-8-mt-ellinor
telemack
2007-12-09 22:15:08