Home > Trip Reports > December 8, 2007, Skyline/Heather Ridge

December 8, 2007, Skyline/Heather Ridge

12/8/07
WA Stevens Pass
Posted by Oface on 12/9/07 1:13pm
Skiied Skyline (or Heather) ridge near Stevens Pass yesterday.  We encountered anywhere from 1mm to 2 inches of powdery snow on top of the raincrust.  (I wasn't paying too much attention to the aspects, but it seemed like south aspects in the trees had the least snow on top of the crust.)  With spectacular sun and visibility, it was a great day to be out, and though we followed a skin track up, we only saw groups of snowshoers.  We had what I believe to be moonlight bowl all to ourselves (this was our first time up in the area, please correct me if these pictures don't look like moonlight bowl.)  The bowl was pretty full of avy debris from last weekend, but the subsequent rain and new snow made it fine turning.  Coverage was good, I measured 85-95cm of snow on top of point 5447, and didn't hit a rock or stump all day.

Burgdorfer says "descend to an old railroad grade (you'll encounter some brush along the way.)"  I should remember that this book was published in 1999, because we hit a couple hundred vf of pretty thick brush before we hit the PCT.  Is there a better way down to the PCT without so much bushwacking?
Once there is more snow, that descent is not too bad...

Hmm... the snow level would have to be pretty high.  We were making our way through brush/trees that were easily 5 or 6 feet above the snowpack.  Should we have headed farther skiers left?

Edit: (added photographic evidence)

Oface, you were in moonlight bowl, my wife and I must not have been too far behind you and followed your tracks down through all the brush.  I think as we get further into winter the brush will bow over and get covered up.  We skied through there last January and made it the PCT without any bushwhacking at all.  Last year we may have been a little further over (skiers left), but it all looked bad this weekend.

We were snowboarding in moonlight bowl on Sunday and encountered the same predicament with the brush toward the pct.    I have been there late season also and I can vouch it is usually a very nice ride out. 

Burgdorfer describs this area as excellent when there is a heavy snow coverage.  I glazed over that part too in an effort to grab some quick turns. 

We saw the snowshoers coming out.  It was a large group that camped by the lake.

Reply to this TR

december-8-2007-skyline-heather-ridge
Oface
2007-12-09 21:13:36