Home > Trip Reports > Video Added - 12/8: Baker Backcountry

Video Added - 12/8: Baker Backcountry

12/15/07
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by savegondor on 12/8/07 5:26pm
Baker Backcountry was busy today...got the needed Sunshine on the face and some good turns.  Evidence of new and old avalanches.  Some debris was up to 10 feet tall (ice chunks) and some of the avalanches ran 200-300 yards.  Clean slab breaks up down 3 feet on wind loaded slopes.  Major avi debris and long slides probably from the Sunday rainstorm on all 20-45 degree aspects.  The more recent slides involved the top 8 inches of powder mostly on south facing slopes 35-55 degree slopes.  In the shaded areas below 40 degrees, very good shovel test and bonding between layers.  Some sluffing of top 8 inches (non-slab) in ski-block test.  Another break 5-8 inches down but only on a ton of effort on the shovel test.  Overall good stability. 

Full Resolution pics at: http://picasaweb.google.com/jaymehelgeson/120807Baker

Video uploaded at youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRaR0C6qhmw

-savegondor

MODIFIED: NEW VIDEO WITH CORRECTED PLACE NAMES
Hey, those are my tracks in the sun in the second pic! As I look more, I see myself breaking a skin track back up as well. That's funny stuff..... Great skiing on a beautiful day! Can I get the full MB file pic from you? PM me if you are willing. Thanks! Here's a pic of MattC in the nice snow...

More video and pics added on above referenced Picasa link. 

Nice pics Gondor! Was that you guys who came up to dig a pit near the peak?

Here is a link to some video of Toby making that track in your second pic...may take a minute to download as I'm still learning how to compress files...

www.vivovox.com/ptpeak

Edit to Add: Windows users may need to paste this URL into Quicktime

Matt

Nice, that was some really good lookin' stuff.  Thanks for the video!

author=Matt C link=topic=8419.msg33707#msg33707 date=1197227506]
Nice pics Gondor! Was that you guys who came up to dig a pit near the peak?

Here is a link to some video of Toby making that track in your second pic...may take a minute to download as I'm still learning how to compress files...

www.vivovox.com/ptpeak

Matt

Yeah,

That was us.  After the deaths this week and ample evidence of avi activity (though the pack SEEMED rock solid)...we owed it to ourselves to take a look.  Parts of the snowpack, i didn't mention are still quite wet.

The video was great!!  I wish I didn't have to work yesterday!!  It is a little confusing though.  The title of the video on you tube is "Baker Backcountry".  It starts out showing a dumping titled "October 12th, 2007: Mt. Baker", then it forwards to yesterday which was sunny and it is titled "November 8th, 2007: Mt. Hood backcountry", yet we obviously know it's Ptarmigan Ridge near Mt. Baker, not Mt. Hood like it is labeled in the video.

video corrected and modified.

I just love having my own personal videographer.  Though I do seem a little ... tired ... in those later runs.  Thanks Jayme!

Yeah, cuttin across the fall-line like that.  Lame.  What a waste of momentum.  :)

Reply to this TR

video-added-12-8-baker-backcountry
savegondor
2007-12-09 01:26:30