Home > Trip Reports > 12/8 - more baker frontcountry

12/8 - more baker frontcountry

12/8/07
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by jack on 12/8/07 8:15am
i poked around the bagley lakes area today, went up to herman saddle...usual deal. the snow couldn't of been better. probably the sugaryist snow i have experienced up there and a nice firm layer about 6 inches underneath to keep things really fast. very stable on north slopes. not a cloud in the sky this morning too.

there is getting to be some sizable surface hoar in areas that stay shaded. also, with this really light snow and the boot-kicking-firm stuff underneath, if we get a big dump on top of this, it could make for some very extreme avy conditions i suspect, so be careful when it snow again.
pictures...

Nice pics Jack!  Cute pooch, too.  I'm wondering if the skiers you ran into were my friends -- group of 5?  Two women, all on AT gear?  Looks like a great day.

Thanks Marcus. The dog just has the time of her life up there. While I didn't descend with the group you describe, I would guess they were the ones that dropped in about 15 minutes behind us a little farther skiers right of our tracks for some fresher snow.

Reply to this TR

12-8-more-baker-frontcountry
jack
2007-12-08 16:15:52