Home > Trip Reports > December 1-2, 2007, Mt. Hood NE - Tilly Jane

December 1-2, 2007, Mt. Hood NE - Tilly Jane

12/1/07
OR Mt Hood
Posted by steve_f on 12/3/07 3:08am
Skinned up Saturday to the A-Frame.  The friend I took with me this weekend was on snow shoes, and really out of shape, so it gave me a lot of time to ski the short but sweet south facing slopes about half way up.  There was a bit more than a foot of great dry powder.  Now I know why you guys do it!  Huge grins.  The slopes were pretty mild, I'm pretty sure less than 30 deg and I kept to the edges.  I'm looking forward to taking some kind of avalanche class soon.

Met some nice climbers staying the night at the a-frame.  They were up on Cooper Spur on Saturday and said it was all blown barren on the NE side of the mountain above tree line, wasn't worth heading up to get any turns in.

It dumped that night.  There was more than a foot of new snow in the morning plus the drifts from the high winds.  Unfortunately, it was heavier.  We had a hard time breaking trail down hill.  Luckily some other skiers staying at the guard shack came along and helped break trail.  I skied the nice south facing slope again, but felt like I was tempting fate a bit so I only skied it once, and kept way over to the side.  The ski down the trail was super fun, totally different from last weekend. 

The car was snowed in and plowed in.  Dug it out and changed into dry clothes.  I said I was jinxing myself for changing clothes before I drove it out.  But I made it out without having to do anymore digging.  On the way down I had a flat and had to get into my sopping clothes again.  Somebody call the whaa-mbulance for me.

Haven't seen the pictures yet.  I'll post later if they are any good.
That was us on the way down the Tilly Jane Trail, Slo-Steve.
We were discussing you at S's Birthday/TeleSki Movie Party for M last night. Took your advice and checked out Corn Dog on the 'other' BC site. More investigation to come.
I have pictures but not sure that I can put them in this post. What is your puppies name?
Anyway, I'll see if I can get the pix up.

Pray for Snow

eh?
So thats where the foot of new was.  Sounds interesting.

Thanks for the picture.  My dog's name is Lily.  Nice meeting you on Sunday White Salmon, I'm assuming you are the one who has gone to the light side as well, with the sled dog?

Hey corn_dog.  Let me explain...  or maybe not!  Anyway, I might be able to take a week day or afternoon off for some lift skiing in the next couple weeks if you're interested.  Or I guess it doesn't have to be lift skiing.

Reply to this TR

december-1-2-2007-mt-hood-ne-tilly-jane
steve_f
2007-12-03 11:08:58