Home > Trip Reports > Dec 1: Paradise Powwww

Dec 1: Paradise Powwww

12/15/07
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by alpymarr on 12/1/07 12:38pm
Where was everyone today?? The 2nd car in the lot, made quick tracks to golden gate for some unexpected incredible powder skiing. Its been dumping up there to the tune of 2-3 feet of fluffy and light on top of a solid base depending on where I was. Sunbreaks and no wind early set the stage for bottomless first tracks, faceshots and many yo yo's. The snow was dusty and blowing coldsmoke everywhere making for some really aesthetic turns and creating small clouds of pow...Company arrived 2 hours later, and with some friendly powder conservation, the fun lasted all day. skiied out via edith creek where deep goods awaited. Hit not a single rock, stump or stick all day, bases unscathed. I was not prepared for a full on powder day....but I guess i'll take it. Avy situation should be grim tomorrow, headed for Crystal.
I'll second that Alpymarr.  One of the best powder days Ive had at Paradise. Along with Katrina ,James Hammaker and ALpine Rose
Not so sure of the stability we opted for the Mazama Back bowl.
After whetting our whistle with some easy runs we opted for south facing 911 slopes.
I played dope on rope while JAmes belayed me for some serious jumping around on the upper steep pitch. All sticking there so we had our best run of the day. Extra Blue wax made short work of the return road up to the lodge. MD20 20 and Brenda were back there as well.
Road was open at 7am and like Alpymarr  I was shocked at the lack of crowds. Road treacherous on the way out with two or three spinouts.

It was so calm when we arrived, great visibility, and cold. The car thermometer read 16F. Such amazing powder. After the last few weekend trips of hiking around with skis on our backs, and too embarrassed to report, it's great to get one of these days under our belts.

Wind and snow was really pounding in the afternoon though. The car read only 19F when we left. Tortuous drive home. There was snow acumulation on the road nearly to Eatonville. Finally we actually had to pull over and take a little nap.

Wow! The telemetry at Paradise is showing 20" accumulation since we left last night. I don't thing the gate opened at 7:00 this morning.

Reply to this TR

dec-1-paradise-powwww
alpymarr
2007-12-01 20:38:35