Home > Trip Reports > Hyak Mountain (Rocky still)

Hyak Mountain (Rocky still)

11/15/07
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by Don Heath on 11/30/07 2:40pm
My bro-in-law, Mike and I met at the N. Bend Starbucks at 9, and headed up to Snoqualmie and over to Hyak to see what was there.  We had a good work out climbing up through the exposed brush.  The skiing was great about the top half of the slope.  There was maybe 1 1/2 to 2 feet, total.

Made a couple of laps of the top half, had lunch, and looked longingly over at Mt. Catherine (Another time, sweetheart, here's looking at you, kid.)

The middle was brushy, and I hit several rocks, so I switched to the road, which was actually fun for a change.  The lower slope was nice, in spite of the brush.  I didn't find any rocks.  I think they must keep the lower slope cleaned up of rocks and brush, since the snow probably gets scraped off pretty close even in mid winter down low.

I saw three other skiers, and two more dogs.  We skied down and were at the parking lot by 1:30.  The weather was great, very little wind.  Kind of spooky feeling up on top, like visiting a ghost town, with the frozen chairs, not moving, and nobody around.

Reply to this TR

hyak-mountain-rocky-still
Don Heath
2007-11-30 22:40:24