Home > Trip Reports > Nov 28-29, 2007, Sasse Ridge

Nov 28-29, 2007, Sasse Ridge

11/28/07
Posted by Larry_R on 11/30/07 8:38am
I have been dreaming about real winter ski camping since the heat of the summer.  Waiting out the heat of the day with bugs everywhere, not enough energy to do much once the sun is overhead, thinking about snow.

It's finally here. See the pic below from ~3500 feet on Sasse Ridge. About 8 inches new at the parking lot when I arrived, a foot new at the campsite with drifts here and there to 16 inches. There was enough snow to ski up through the trees, but not enough to really ski down. I did it anyway just to save energy. The snowpack model again was reasonably accurate, so no need for this TR I guess. Except for the picture maybe.  :)

Larry

Ps: On the drive in, I think I saw Jonas Kascade doing a sketch of one of the magnificient new mansions built above the Salmon La Sac road. I was hoping to get his autograph, but I just couldn't get the courage to even approach someone of his stature.
Nice dude!  That looks like a good time for sure...and its still falling!

Larry, thanks for the report. I'm heading up there tomorrow with JM for a short first ski of the season. As for the wondrousful new mansions along beautiful Lake Cle Elum, I can only say that they will figure prominently in next year's line of fine art paintings.

One of the things that keeps me interested in ski camping when there just are not going to be many turns is the joy of thinking of easier ways to do things. It seems that every trip I think something. Sometimes the ideas work, sometimes not.  This week and last I tried out my new plastic-bag-for snow-to-melt-for-water-holder-opener. I have no idea what it should be called. And it worked great too. Yes, really.  :)

For a number of years I've used plastic grocery store produce bags to store snow to use for snow melt water. After I get my tent set up, I pack 2 or 3 of these with snow and set them just outside the door of my tent. That way, once I'm inside I do not have to get out again except to visit the outhouse if I'm not so inclined. Like when it's pouring rain, or a blizzard, or I'm just feeling lazy.

Stuffing very light snow in the bags can be a pain, so several years ago I made a flexible hoop of plastic rod that would hold the top of the bag open. That works OK, but my new Super Deluxe Totally Redesigned and Re-engineered model works much better.

It's the same idea but it's made of  ~1/16th  inch diameter fiberglass rod bent into a 7 inch diameter circle and secured with a short piece of brass tube. Weight 4 gms. You slip the hoop in the bag, fold the top of the bag down over the hoop, grasp the hoop and scoop up the snow. Very quick.

OK, so it's kind'a trivial. But if I add a whole bunch of these little things together they do make a difference in the comfort level for me, and keep me coming back.

Larry

Reply to this TR

nov-28-29-2007-sasse-ridge
Larry_R
2007-11-30 16:38:35