Home > Trip Reports > Nov 30, 2007; Alpental - dawn patrol

Nov 30, 2007; Alpental - dawn patrol

11/15/07
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by cascadesfreak on 11/30/07 2:28am
Powder for breakfast made the 4:30 am wake-up and under 4 hours of sleep fully worthwhile.  Daniel, Tim, and myself skinned up to the top of the Armstrong Express lift at dawn.  We were greeted by about 7-to-10" of mostly low density fluff overlying a faceted crust above a thin snowbase, but just enough coverage for fun turns (without bottoming out on the crust) with some brush dodging (we weren€™t too concerned with the faceted crust/buried surface hoar on the slopes we skied as there was extensive vegetative and terrain anchoring still in place, but up higher things could be more spicy; heard a small €œwhompf€ while skiing through some flats near a stream bed, possibly buried surface hoar collapsing).  An excellent powder morning and still made it into the office by 9:30.
Sweet wreckage shot!  ;D

Nice job on the early start.

Hey, I ran into you guys this morning when you were coming down, we were on the way up.  Glad you had fun and thanks for posting the pics and for the report.  Yeah, fun turns, though Alpental still needs A LOT of snow before opening, sorry about my barking dog.

Long live the dawn patrol! I can't wait to be doing the same! Thanks for the conditions update - it's decided my weekend plans.

Sweet wreckage pic!
I did that myself today. :)

Reply to this TR

nov-30-2007-alpental-dawn-patrol
cascadesfreak
2007-11-30 10:28:59