Home > Trip Reports > 11/28, Baker-Table Mountain Area

11/28, Baker-Table Mountain Area

11/28/07
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by juan on 11/29/07 7:40am
Headed up to Baker to check out the reported 17" of new snow.  Winter has definitely arrived.  We skinned out towards Table Mt from the upper lot.  We left behind a bunch of folks who were doing laps in-bounds.  Visibility was poor.

Dug a pit on a 30deg, NW slope.  About 3' of total snow there.  About 17" of new snow sat atop a hard, faceted layer.  Shear test popped the upper layer with moderate effort on a clean sliding bed.  Compression test failed the upper surface with the second tap from the elbow.  Did a RB and the upper layer failed at a 1.

Decided to check out S aspects so we hiked to the ridge and popped over a saddle into some S/SE low angle glades.  Dug a pit on a S/SE slope at about 35 deg.  Total snow depth here was probably 5 feet, and the upper layer was closer to 24" deep.  Similar results on shear, compression, and RB as the NW slope.

Skied a couple laps on the low angle slopes, sticking close to the tree line.  The skiing was awesome  Headed back over to the NW side of the ridge and skied down what looked like a fairly popular chute.  Went up for one more and skied what I was told is called the blueberry chutes.  We dropped in a low angle entrance and then through a steeper gully and then it opened up to the apron below.  the steep stuff is sloughing all the new snow and does not give much confidence.  The apron was pure cream though and was well worth the trip for that one 1/2 run. 

Until things warm up and consolidate a bit, that faceted/frozen layer will be a bit scary, especially once a slab develops on top of it.  Keep it safe out there with the early season enthusiasm.
Thanks for a clear, informative report.

Thanks for the info..how did herman look?

Right on, Juan.  Thanks for reporting not just the fun, but the info we all really need to share more.

Spicoli-  the visibility was poor and I dont really know the area very well.  But from what I coud tell, everything was looking pretty filled in.  I'm sure some Baker locals could better answer your question-

author=SPICOLI link=topic=8309.msg33260#msg33260 date=1196392589]
Thanks for the info..how did herman look?

I am assuming that, by "Herman" you mean Bagley Mountain?  Herman is the mountain behind Bagley that hosts "The Stoneman".  That run still needs another 20' of snow to be skiable.

Bagley has a couple of lines open, most noticably the Cornice Gully.  The Rock Garden is a long way from skiable, and the Bagley trees need another good snowfall.

Herman Saddle back to Bagley Lake is rocky but negotiable.  Several of the runs down into the Chain Lake are good to go. You will hit rocks, so keep it slow.

Of course, this will all change with tomorrrow's expected dramatic weather.

Reply to this TR

11-28-baker-table-mountain-area
juan
2007-11-29 15:40:58