Home > Trip Reports > Nov 27 We closed down Chinook Pass

Nov 27 We closed down Chinook Pass

11/15/07
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Scotsman on 11/27/07 10:45am
Snow Bell and I had a rather late start from Gig Harbor and got to the pass about 10.30. Lots of snow and I was hoping for some of the light stuff as I though the storm came in cold. We parked at the lower toilets and couldn't resist following a skintrack that went around the North side of Naches peak. We caught up with two skiers ( locals from Greenwater) who where setting the track and took over trail breaking and it was hard work.
There was 12-15" of HEAVY cascade powder that I had trouble adapting to after all that nice low density stuff I've skied lately.

We climbed up the bowl on the north side of the peak and yo-yo'ed that for three trips and then went back to the car and skinned up the West facing slope above the lower toilets. Much less snow with an icy crust below.We met a nice snowboarding couple at the top who shared their bottle of wine with us.
We got back to the car at 2.45 and WSDOT where there and told us that the pass would close tonight at 8.00 PM. :'(
Nice base layer and with forecast snow on Wed, Crystal should open soon.
Thanks Snow Bell for the excellent company dude. ;D
OOPs , meant East Facing Slopes above lower toilets!

Website is still saying the road is open

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/traffic/passes/PassInformation.aspx#chinooklink

CHINOOK PASS
Restrictions Eastbound:
Traction Tires Advised, Oversize Vehicles Prohibited.
Restrictions Westbound:
Traction Tires Advised, Oversize Vehicles Prohibited.
Updated: 05:47 PM, Nov 27, 2007

MMMMMMMMM. Well the WSDOt drivers where going around every  car telling everybody that it would close tonight at 8.00Pm as their avy people had declared the starting zones on the major  slide paths loaded.
Maybe we'll get  a repreive. Here's hoping they where wrong but thats what they told us. :)

Thanks for the report

You speak nothing but truths Scotsman:

I am excellent company and the pass is closed.

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/traffic/passes/PassInformation.aspx#chinooklink

CHINOOK PASS
  Elevation: 5430ft / 1655M

Temperature:N/A

Conditions & Weather:
Chinook Pass is temporarily closed from milepost 57 to milepost 74, Crystal Mountain Boulevard to Morse Creek, due to increased snow depth and avalanche potential. //

Restrictions Eastbound:
Temporarily closed

Restrictions Westbound:
Temporarily closed

Updated: 08:37 PM, Nov 27, 2007
This is the most current info available
and is promptly updated when conditions change

Also, you may have left out a detail or two that our fellow TAYers may want to know:

The wine was Pacific Crest Trail Merlot of Paso Robles, they seemed to have some sort of sausage which they did not offer and they had a dog.  I believe that it was a collie.

Thanks Chris.  I am happy to accompany you anywhere anytime.

Nice job, mates.  I used to eat that Cascade powder in first grade; teacher called it library paste.  Now I ski on it and it's still yummy.

The wine was Pacific Crest Trail Merlot of Paso Robles, they seemed to have some sort of sausage which they did not offer and they had a dog.  I believe that it was a collie.

HA ;D Very funny! I thought the wine a little fruity but that may have been the vanilla power bar I ate just before.

It is my pleasure to know that your teachers influence your skiing today.  Sad to see the pass closed.  I recently experienced my first trips up there and was wonderfully rewarded with sugar then spice, or was it the other way around ;)? Love it! Such easy access to some great terrain!

Reply to this TR

nov-27-we-closed-down-chinook-pass
Scotsman
2007-11-27 18:45:14