Home > Forum > am i just being a grouch?

am i just being a grouch?

• juan
  • [jon_ambrose]
More
18 Jun 2003 10:48 #168315 by juan
am i just being a grouch? was created by juan
or does a guy talking on a cell phone atop a beautiful peak annoy you as well? top out on adams, enjoying the spectacular view, and there's a guy yapping it up on the cell. maybe i'm just a grouch, but this sort of bothers me...maybe i just shouldn't ski the popular routes.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jun 2003 11:42 #168316 by jimjar
Replied by jimjar on topic Re: am i just being a grouch?
I must be a grouch too then. There is a time to talk on the phone and it is not on the top of a mountain.

• Charles
  • [24!ShukSan$9]
More
18 Jun 2003 12:46 #168318 by Charles
Replied by Charles on topic Re: am i just being a grouch?
I agree as well. To paraphrase that old bumper sticker: "Question Technology"

• Jim Oker
  • [jim_oker]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
18 Jun 2003 14:04 #168319 by Jim Oker
Replied by Jim Oker on topic Re: am i just being a grouch?
To me, it depends. If they're talking at a volume that is similar to that they'd use if talking with a real person right next to them, and if they're not violating anyone else's personal space, then why get perturbed about it? The problem I have is, however, that people on cell phones tend to raise their voice to the point where everyone else is in on the phone call whether they want to be or not. But personally, I don't care if they lug up a battery pack, satellite dish, and TV set as long as I don't need to watch or listen.

More
18 Jun 2003 14:46 #168320 by sag
Replied by sag on topic Re: am i just being a grouch?
i don't bring my phone because the whole point is to get away from all that crap when in the mountains. ( at least thats my reason for getting out there)however:i have a friend who brings his phone for one reason and one reason only to call everyone that could not come or bailed out .and though i think this is realy annoying when i'm there, it always makes me laugh when i get the call while i'm at work and for just a moment i'm in the woods. good intentions are some times annoying but they are still good intentions.

• paul_smith
  • [paul_smith]
More
19 Jun 2003 03:03 #168322 by paul_smith
Replied by paul_smith on topic Re: am i just being a grouch?
Ski now, talk later! ???

• Andrew Carey
  • [acarey]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
19 Jun 2003 12:25 #168324 by Andrew Carey
Replied by Andrew Carey on topic Re: am i just being a grouch?
Upon studious reflection on the use of cell phones in the bc to carry on extended conversations I have come to the conclusion that it sucks! for 2 reasons:<br>(1) the loud talking referred to is an extensive invasion of personal space that in no less offensive than someone continously yelling to a distant companion or a dog, or a crying child, or whooping and hollering with joy--the only reason is poor upbringing ;D<br>(2) many of us were taught or at least raised in communities with norms that suggested listening in on a private conversation is impolite, whispering to other people in front of someone else is impolite, and talking on the phone in front of a group of family members is impolite--everyone has to shut up so the talker can hear but simultaneoulsy are excluded from the conversation. The cell phone behavioris boorish and widely regarded as so. You should have peed on his boot ;D abc

• silaswild
  • [silaswild]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
19 Jun 2003 13:42 #168325 by silaswild
Replied by silaswild on topic Re: am i just being a grouch?
Relax and let the guy talk. Move away from the summit if you are looking for a solitary experience, or find a mountain a bit more remote and less popular than Adams. That's what I do. :)

• Jim Oker
  • [jim_oker]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
20 Jun 2003 04:02 #168326 by Jim Oker
Right on, Silas. The world needs more tolerance, and it starts at home. And why spend all that time at the summit being annoyed? Shouldn't y'all be skiing?<br><br>I don't carry a cell phone, fwiw.

• juan
  • [jon_ambrose]
More
20 Jun 2003 07:28 #168327 by juan
Replied by juan on topic Re: am i just being a grouch?
i dont let it affect my enjoyment of the climb or the ski...it was easily forgotten til later over beers in hood river. i do however think that it is insensitive of someone to talk on a cell phone on top of a peak, while others are there enjoying the views and the peace.

• nidahoscott
  • [nidahoscott]
More
21 Jun 2003 07:37 #168331 by nidahoscott
Replied by nidahoscott on topic Re: am i just being a grouch?
I do carry my cell phone. It stays in my pack turned off unless needed for a situation. I must admit that when soloing, i will call when i hit the peak to let the people who care know of my location . but never a long loud call and never when im with a group. but i never see people when im on top.

• Jim Oker
  • [jim_oker]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
23 Jun 2003 18:41 #168337 by Jim Oker
So this was an interesting thread - maybe it's time to start one on dogs or snowmobiles now!<br> ;D