Home > Trip Reports > 11/24/2007, Tumalo Butte, OR

11/24/2007, Tumalo Butte, OR

11/24/07
OR elsewhere
Posted by philfort on 11/26/07 10:39am
I was down in Oregon for thanksgiving, and had my backcountry gear with me just in case.  It certainly didn't look promising (Bachelor reporting a 12 inch base), but my brother and I decided to head up to the sno-parks around Mt Bachelor and find something.

I'd heard of Tumalo before, so we decided on that.  We climbed up the south side on thin snowpack, and popped our heads over the north-east (?) face.  It had a few sets of tracks on it, and looked great.

The top few turns were crust, but then it was a nice 8-10 inches of fine powder on a ~1 ft base.  We did hit the occasional suprise rock near the bottom, but overall conditions were way better than we expected.  Fast smooth powder.  Avy conditions were pretty much non-existent. I think we did 6 laps in the bowl. 
We saw several skiers walk across the ridge-top,  but suprisingly none jumped in, so we had the place to ourselves for the day.

Nice work - Tumalo is a fun ride on the backside bowl.  I'm suprised there was that good of a base up there.  Thanks for the report.

Matt

Reply to this TR

11-24-2007-tumalo-butte-or
philfort
2007-11-26 18:39:04