Home > Trip Reports > June 17, 2003, Sunrise-3 Burroughs, MRNP

June 17, 2003, Sunrise-3 Burroughs, MRNP

6/17/03
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Charles on 6/18/03 1:57am
I try to do this trip once every June, but was concerned that I had waited too long to do it my preferred way in this less than optimal snow year. I biked up the gated Sunrise Road to the crossing of Yakima Creek at 4800', and found much less snow than hoped for in the draw leading up toward Sunrise. There were just patches of snow hanging around near the creek, but I had done this trip before with similar snow, so I started hiking up the draw. After 200', the snow became more reliable on the shady side, and after another 200' I was able to escape from the draw up onto the bench, which had OK coverage, if somewhat dirty. The next 1200' to Sunrise provided good conditions for my waxless skis as the forest underwent the transition to meadows. The meadows were moderately runneled, as were pretty much all of the gentler slopes on this trip, and many steeper non-north facing slopes. I skied to Frozen Lake saddle, then up onto 1st Burroughs (one short carry - the only one of the day), down to 1st-2nd saddle, up to 2nd, down to 2nd-3rd saddle, and up to 3rd. It was a warm sunny day with a nice cool east breeze, so after lunch I took what has become my traditional 3rd Burroughs nap.

Wanting to have north-facing snow for my runs, I skied very nice snow from 3rd Burroughs down into Granite Creek Park (Bergdorfer's "small pocket glacier"), skied up onto 2nd Burroughs, then skied another north-facing run on nice snow into Berkeley Park. The snow in the north side chutes on 2nd Burroughs is holding out pretty well, but there was chunky avalanche debris marring a lot of them. Then over Frozen Lake saddle, across the Sunrise Meadows, and down into the Yakima Creek drainage. I had picked up some gunk on my fishscales near the Sunrise buildings, but rather than the typical pollen problem, I think this may have simply come from skiing across so many needles and branches, because after I cleaned it off I didn't pick up any more, despite the shady snow. I found enough snow on the shady bank of the developing draw to ski right down it until the last 200', although there were some exciting moments traversing narrow snowbanks above the rushing creek. The return back to the car is the most enjoyable I know of - hop on the bike and coast! I decompressed by the charging White River, which was clearly rolling a lot of large boulders on its bed, as evidenced by the deep "thunks" continually emanating from the water and vibrating the banks.

Here's a photo of the 3rd Burroughs run (more photos in a home page gallery in a few weeks):

The Park has made a policy change this year regarding the gated Sunrise Road which makes it possible to use the road to access skiing without being an outlaw. A number of years ago, it was deemed permissable to bike or hike the Sunrise road up past the gate even when plowing was going on up higher. Then, reportedly as the result of a biker wiping out on rocks and threatening a lawsuit, the Park simply banned all uses of the road until the gate was opened (usually very late June), by which time the great touring typically was gone (although north facing chutes OK). This year, the policy has been changed back, partially. Here's what I was told by Dave at the White River RS (360-663-2273): there is now a reversible sign on the gate, which will read "Road Closed to Recreational Use" when crews are doing any work on the road, and "Recreational Uses Allowed: biking, hiking, skiing" when the crews are not working. The crews have semi-regular hours, typically 7:30 to 4:00 or so, but this can vary. This year, crews have been working 7 days a week. In contrast to previous years, the Park seems to be willing to release these details, so a call should provide the needed info. For people who do not wish to be outlaws, this new policy seems to mean that you need to start up the road before the crews change the sign in the morning, and wait to come down until they are done for the day (fortunately the crews don't seem to work all that late).
great photo Charles!

Very nice Charles.  Did you happen to check out two of our runs, of which you have also skied, "Fear Factor" and "Courage Classic"?  Is the parking lot clear of snow, and any word on the "official" opening of Sunrise?

wow, this is one classy picture!!! beautiful!

Thanks about the photo - a backdrop like that makes for some great shots!

Mad_Dog, I got a good look at "Courage Classic" from both the top and bottom. It and other 2nd Burroughs runs into Berkeley Park were well filled in, but as I said, there was a lot of old avi debris. Maybe this will have melted/consolidated by the time the road opens, to produce the nice skiing conditions of last year. I didn't go up to the saddles of Sourdough Ridge, so I can't say for sure about those runs, but judging from the snowpack, they should have plenty of snow right now.

The parking lot has been cleared for some time now (JP reported on 6/8 that it was being cleared), and the road crews now seem to be mostly working on clearing and grading the roadside drainage ditches. Of course, the gate can't be opened before the snack shop is fully stocked, which is undoubtedly why it takes the Park at least 3 weeks to open the gate after the parking lot has been cleared. I think the Park has been saying 6/27 for opening the gate, and there is no obvious reason why that wouldn't be possible.

Thanks Charles.

Reply to this TR

june-17-2003-sunrise-3-burroughs-mrnp
Charles
2003-06-18 08:57:59