Home > Trip Reports > Video: Singing Pass, Whistler, Nov 22-25

Video: Singing Pass, Whistler, Nov 22-25

11/15/07
Canada BC
Posted by savegondor on 11/25/07 5:07pm
Had a great time snowcamping at Singing Pass.  Skied in on Thursday, slept in bitterly cold temperatures, perhaps <10 degrees F.  Skied a moonlit Cowboy Ridge for my first run that night...and the next day followed that up with a run closer to Russet Lake, then Cowboy, then Oboe trees.  Friday I was pleased to be joined by Volcanogrrl for a couple more runs on both sides of Oboe (excellent!!!) and another trip up Cowboy.  Saturday, Volcanogrrl and I were joined by James, Hiroshi, and Andre...hence the video.  All in all a great trip with great weather and awesome snow.  Some of the hoarfrost in the valley grew crystals close to an inch in diameter. 

More pics at:  http://picasaweb.google.com/jaymehelgeson/112507WhistlerThanksgiving
Youtube video at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfqZk-NRsWc

-Jayme
Great job on the pics and video, Jayme!
What an awesome trip.  Beautiful scenery.  Saturday was a bit gray, but warm.  It was really fun to have "company" out to our little camp and meet some more TAY folk. 
Friday I skinned out to meet Jayme and completely underestimated the distance and effort it'd take to get there.  I had a harder time trying to find my way out of bounds (easily) than anything else.  Had to start skinning from the gondola.  It was a long slog.  Fortunately, Jayme and I had radio contact so he came and met me at the saddle just before you start climbing Flute and we skied to the camp, arriving by moonlight.  It was not a big deal as the terrain was nice and visibility was good. 
I also overestimated my ability/willingness to carry a lot of weight, thus my volkswagen-sized pack caused some pain.  On the upside, I had a BOATLOAD of down in every form -- vest, jacket, booties, sleeping bag.  Oh man that stuff is heaven!!  But, by the time we came down Sunday, my feet were just shot from the weight of my pack. 
Travertine, Andre, Telefore, Savegondor -- it was just great to meet you all and I hope we can ski again sometime!
I'll be doing a little trip report in my blog, but it ain't gonna be now, I'm beat.  I'll post an update when I put it in my blog.

Wow!  so 3am at home checking and writing TR's.  Hardcore!  Thanks for the company, I had a great time!

And just for the record, Volcanogrrl's pack was way heavier than mine!!

_J

Nice work.  Shows good coverage on the glaciers

Didn't make it to whirlwind due to lack of experience in the area...or a partner with said experience.  But it got tracked up and it looked really good.  From as close as I got, Fissile didn't look ready quite yet...

-J

Jayme, great to meet you in the middle of the alpine on a very cool day, and good fun pictures and video.  Thanks for posting it.  Hoping for more adventures soon.

Wowsa!  It sounds like a great trip!  I can't believe I opted not to go.  Nice work, and hope to join y'all up there next time when the funds permit. . . :D

I'm learning that carpooling with great company always pays off.  Carpool + No lift ticket = Cheap.

And I've added a tr to my little blog:
http://backcountrytr.blogspot.com/2007/11/whistler-bc-back-country-phrase-of-week.html

I would just like to clear the record here: If anyone reads Volcanogrrl's blog next post up, I would just like to say that I only witnessed one or two faceplants by this hardcore newbie.  The rest of her turns were pure grace... well almost...

Once again I am publicly admitting that I made a mistake when I didn't go with my original plan of joining you guys. Come back for a return trip on your next long weekend. I enjoyed the various TRs and photos. btw  Volcanogrrl, those "little shits" are also known as campfire robbers, whiskeyjacks, grey jays, and Canada jays. (I think they are also known as Oregon jays in that state.)

Telemon -- yes, Savegondor was calling them "robbers", probably a more appropriate term to use in my blog.  :)  I felt "little shits" really captured their aggressive and mischievous ways though.
Yup, we missed you, though I didn't have a funky hat to have you autograph.  Idda been mad if we met and I didn't have a hat. 

My "signature" hat is strictly for the summer months when I want to protect my thinning pate from the sun's rays without cooking the gray cells within. It sounds like I would have needed one of my traditional Canadian toques to keep warm. ;D

Jayme, Thank you for great movie & photos, and guiding us to sweet slope.
Volcanogrrl's, your photos are really cooll too!
It was nice meeting you. I enjoyed the time and tele with you.
See you soon at next bc tour!

It's ok Telemon.  There will be other days...

Telefore, thanks for your contribution on the pictures.

And Volcanogrrl, awesome blog/ TR you wrote there.

did you guys buy a one ride pass to get up to the alpine?  How much and where?

Guest Relations on the left side of the Whistler Village Gondola line up.  (Note that the lines for passes and lessons are often long, but "Guest Relations" is a specific line in the middle of the other two, and often is much shorter).

Pass was about $41 CAD after tax ($37 before, I think).  You sign something ageeing that it is only to get you to your BC destination and that they can fine you $500 if they catch you doing anything else (i.e. lift skiing laps).

The Guest relations line was even shorter last weekend at the Blackcomb Base.

Reply to this TR

video-singing-pass-whistler-nov-22-25
savegondor
2007-11-26 01:07:06