Home > Trip Reports > 11-24-07, Agnes Col (12,000'), Never Summer Mtns

11-24-07, Agnes Col (12,000'), Never Summer Mtns

11/24/07
Posted by MW88888888 on 11/25/07 12:56pm
Day 5
11-24-2007
Agnes Col (12,000'), Never Summer Mountains, Colorado

It's been a dry fall for the Northern Colorado mountains.  One decent storm and little else take us to the end of November, with most areas lucky to scrape together a foot of base.  I take solice in the fact that few in the West are fairing different.  Loveland Pass was a half a foot on top of nothing on Turkey Day, so more of the same seemed senseless.  New destinations and a scout around were in order.  To Cameron Pass we go...

I himmed and hawed about purchasing the day pass when we arrived at the trailhead - but careful scrutiny of the frosted over windshields of the overnight cars showed clearly that the other three along the snowed-in access road feared the heavy hand of the law.  Or at least a surprise end-of-the-day bummer.  I reluctantly slipped my cash into the self serve station and affixed my windscreen sticker.  It was a bad start to a ski day for a dirt bag.  I grumbled inside - this had better be worth it!

Things improved once we started skinning down the road - skinning!  I was worried that the relatively low start (9,700') might mean a walk along the Jeep road until elevation, but Andrei and I found a half a foot of softer stuff covering a hard foot of old snow, making for delightfully easy climbing.  We crossed the Michigan Creek bridge after a half mile of flats and the climbing began in earnest.  The road was a north facing delight, with traffic packing the center and aprons of fluffy continental powder gracing the edges.   We had this in the bag no matter what the outcome above.

We followed the well-signed road toward Agnes Lake and soon found ourselves ogling every aspect as we gained altitude.  The scenery was breathtaking.  Above to the East rose the elegant spires of the Nokhu Crags, to the south the southern end of the Medicine Bow Mountains, and to the south and west the white faces of the Never Summer Mountains.  A little Switzerland, right off the road!

We reached a cabin after a 2.6 mile climb, which we found out later was one of two that could be rented.  A thought for the future, Andrei and I commented.  What a scene for an overnight tour.  There were lines all around, although most looked like spring corn affairs as most involved choice couloirs on craggy faces.  We quickly found the drainage leading up to Lake Agnes (10,663') and took a break on the sunny south shore of the small glacial tarn, which was complete with a Wizard Island look alike to add a splash of grandeur.  The route ahead looked awesome.

Yes, indeed, the mountains needed snow, but we could see a fine gully of snow leading from the lake up into the Agnes bowl, and culminating in our target col at 12,000'.  Lines snaked down Mt Richthofen (12,940') and Mt Mahler (12,493') on either side of the col, but looked like a spring snow pack would be needed for summit skiing options.  No matter, if we could find powder on this tour we had victory, and the access road up from the flats was powder in the bag already!

As we ate and drank we could hear the lake groaning and creaking, ominous, otherworldly and scary sounds that prevented a straight across ski to our destination.  We cautiously skirted the lakes edge to the base of the bowl.

The climb was straight forward, up a sinuous snow filled gully, with a half a foot of new snow covering a windboard old snowpack, the new snow wind affected, wind packed, and in some areas, glorious powder.  We took note of sections as we rose.  The climb to the top went easily and we topped out shortly after noon.

From the col we were afforded wonderful views of the seldom seen northern mountains of RMNP, secluded valleys tucked into the high alpine mountains that surrounded.  The view to the north was marred only by the glimpse of CO 14 as it split Cameron Pass, the Medicine Bow Mountains dancing off into Wyoming.  Andrei busted out a left-over turkey sandwhich and we scarfed that puppy down at the nicest picnic spot in Northern Colorado.

The windboard and wind affected variable snow at the very top of the col was a challenge to ski, but lower into the bowl the snow improved dramatically.  We leapfrogged down sections, blowing boot deep powder in the sheltered northern aspects.  There were rock monsters lurking everywhere, but skiing by braille we could avoid the worst of the menice.

At the lake shore we broke back into the sun and skated easily across to the waiting small group of tourists who had stayed in the cabin and watched our descent.  A quick hi and hello, and back to solitude.

The access road, indeed, was a hoot inducing pleasure fest, dancing from traffic pack to apron powder and back again, all the way back to the car.
way to get the turns in CO!  Nice TR!

Hot damn! So there is snow somewhere in Colorado at the moment.  I've been down in Mexico for the past week and I could have sworn we had received a whole mess of the stuff by all that was on the ground at DIA when we landed.  But it looks as though we may still need to treck north to collect on it...

Reply to this TR

11-24-07-agnes-col-12-000-never-summer-mtns
MW88888888
2007-11-25 20:56:09