Home > Trip Reports > Chinook Pass Naches Peak back bowl.Nov 25, 2007

Chinook Pass Naches Peak back bowl.Nov 25, 2007

11/15/07
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Robie on 11/25/07 12:00pm
Subtitled : The Good Neighbor Ski
Andy my neighbor invited me to go skiing. Andy his friends Liza ,Mary and John are all Crystal mt. regulars and as such are very good skiers. They also are very into backcounty skiing.
This morning I was not optomistic about the quality of snow we would be getting into. I feared breakable crust. So i opined a tour to Chinook pass north facing back bowl which I knew to be pretty heavily skied the past 3 days. Easy in easy out  and not a lot of climbing you know.  Well as the pictures will show there was still plenty of lines and soft.snow left. I was sorely tempted to ski south facing as the crust was softening. The north facing was too good. I suppose this is what intermountain and rocky  mt eastslope skiers get. Lots of good cold weather for days . All my assunmptions were based on PNW normal temps ? All snow was stable with surface hoar still existing and starting again as we left . The big plus was the quick schuss back to the car.
Ps these folks are very stash worthy .
Hey- that was a great trip, Robie- thanks for sharing your expertise and energy.  I never would've thought that that favorite "kids and visitors" hiking trail would lead to such a fantastic, sun shielded bowl of fluffy hoary crystalline delight.  Next time I am bringing you an anchovie, goat cheese, and sun-dried tomato sandwich for sure!

Your welcome, my pleasure  and yes I  do take bribes.
While this is up top again. I got a email address wrong for a Joanne who was at the Skoog show in tacoma. We still want to ski with you. please send me email through this site or my email is in the tacoma section of mountaineers.
Bring on the snow !

Reply to this TR

chinook-pass-naches-peak-back-bowl-nov-25-2007
Robie
2007-11-25 20:00:35