Home > Trip Reports > Nov 24 Whistler Singing Pass

Nov 24 Whistler Singing Pass

11/15/07
Canada BC
Posted by James Wells on 11/25/07 11:50am
The initial crew from the base of Whistler on Saturday 11/24 was Hiroshi, Andre, Kathy, Kevin, and James.  Tobias had texted that he was way late due to traffic and not to wait.  We knew that Jayme and Teresa were up at Singing Pass already and had plans to meet them at 11 or so.  We caught close to the first gondola up and then, seeing Harmony apparently not running, started skinning up Pikas, but within minutes a patrolman came by and said Harmony would open within 10 minutes.  Good luck there, we skied down to Harmony and rode up to save about 300 meters gain of skinning.  Tobias then called that he was on the gondola (perhaps 30 minutes behind?), but my phone died and nobody else had his #.  I regret that we continued instead of leaving a person to meet Tobias, totally a bad call.  We had some anxiety about meeting Jayme and Teresa at the appointed time, but that€™s not a good reason.  Tobias, I am sorry.

We skied out past Piccolo and skinned to the top of Flute where Kevin determined that he needed to do more skiing down and less skinning for the day.  He and Kathy went back down in the direction of civilization while Hiroshi, Andre, and I continued on to Oboe, where we met Teresa and Jayme.  From the top of Oboe we skied down really nice glades with powder topped in a tinkling layer of hoar frost near the bottom.  From there we skinned to Jayme and Teresa€™s camp at Singing Pass, then Hiroshi, Jayme, and I did a short lap part way up Cowboy Ridge and back to camp, where we got some video that hopefully will be good.

From camp, Hiroshi, Andre and I headed back up Oboe, which we elected to try to skirt on the shoulder to the left.  Bad idea, although the route was delightfully scenic, it was a slog.  At the shoulder of Oboe another party of 8 or so appeared out of nowhere as we skied down.  We then skinned up to the shoulder of Flute and Lesser Flute (up and right) which turned out to be a great way up.  Down into Symphony Bowl and just a short climb to the Harmony cutoff. 

Headlights on, we rumbled down to the Gondola where we missed last ride down.  We were able to ski about half way down until there were more rocks than snow, then hoofed the rest of the way to end a very satisfying day in spectacular scenery.

Conditions:

Lucky with the cloud deck.  We got slightly into cloud at the top of Flute, and then we went down and the clouds went up for excellent views the rest of the day.  Snow thin at ridge tops.  Piccolo looked awful €“ we did not go there.  A decent amount of snow in the lee and in the trees.  Not too many rocks on the day.  Snow was very stable this day, but watch out after next storm because of the hoar.

My lessons for the day:

1) Radios not cell phones
2) Better to go up and then down as opposed to trudging around (the trip around Oboe).
3) When you change over with AT, lock the bindings down before you step out so the brakes engage (no, I didn€™t learn the hard way)
4) Simpler plans

Hiroshi took stills, which I hope he will post, while Jayme took video that I hope he will put up on his Youtube site.
I really wanted to join your group on this trip. I have never ventured out to Sing Pass. After following the weather forecasts all week, I made the decision that the potentially poor views would not justify the expense of driving for 3 hours each way and the gondola ticket. I guess that I did not make a wise decision. A friend ,who skied the Singing Pass and Cowboy Ridge on Saturday, had a great day in largely untouched snow and reasonable vis. The only thing missing was the bluebird conditions seen earlier in the week. I am pleased that the trip worked out for you after all your organizing.

Bluebird 3 of 4 days.  see new post and video. 

Oh my gosh, you had to hike out?  Rough!  We were wondering how you all fared.  It sure was fun to meet everybody, what an excellent trip.  A highlight of my skiing career thus far...  I'd love to ski with any of you again, anytime. 

We were able to ski about half way down, so it really was only about a 20 minute walk down.  The moonlight and headlamp skiing from Symphony to the Gondola midstation was very fun, because in addition to the views we got fresh groomed slopes all the way.  Your lift ticket dollars at work.

Please come up for Baker some time, and let me know if it would help you to stop over in Bham coming or going.

Thanks Travertine for your great plan.
Thanks all for sharing such a wonderful time.
I really enjoyed my first visit to Whistler with all of you.
I'm looking foward to seeing you at next bc tour.

I uploaded some photos.

http://picasaweb.google.com/telefore/071124WhistlerBC?authkey=kXK2Kr1nX28

Reply to this TR

nov-24-whistler-singing-pass
James Wells
2007-11-25 19:50:44