Home > Trip Reports > Nov23, 2007, Chinook Pass Deadwood Lakes

Nov23, 2007, Chinook Pass Deadwood Lakes

11/23/07
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Robie on 11/23/07 12:23pm
I was hoping to tell you all how I mastered skiing breakable crust. But We just couldn't find any on North/NW faciing slopes above Deadwood lakes. Holly ,Dave S, Telemack,Chris Cass and myself. 3 days after the storm and still All Powder light and fluffy topped with 3/4 " surface hoar. No wind slabs ,my guess is that these slopes are pretty wind protected. Runs down to the lake were short but very good. Could use some more coverage. Full moon as we were leaving I'll let others post pictures and put mine up later.
Ive never seen so many tracks at Chinook pass. South facing Crusting as we left.
Glad to hear it was still good!  We were guilty of thrashing a bunch of the area last Tuesday.  It sounds like it was still good. 

So - you think you can ski breakable crust?  I want a lesson.  After I watch you for awhile...

See you up there!
Don

The point is I still don't know how to ski breakable crust. Hopefully I never will or have to !.

Good turns were had!  7-8" of old fresh with significant surface hoar.  Best part was that a stable base is forming on the N and NW aspects.  Nice folks on a good slackcountry day. 

This is the autumn of milking the extended days in the passes that are usually closed by now....

Such a bummer we didn't get the expected trap-crust skiing all day  ;)  Glad to be able to milk a sunny powder day out of Chinook Pass before the winter closure with a fun group. 
Full pics are posted here.

Thank you thank you guys for great company on an awesome day.  Chris, how unfortunate that we missed out on that breakable crust you were so expectant of . . . hey though, all was not lost, I think there were about five turns of such.  Of course, we could use some more coverage, but you know you must have graduated as a backcountry Tayer on rock skis when you think to yourself: "Hey, those willows look skiable!"  ;D ;D Great day!!!

The few photos I took are Here.

Reply to this TR

nov23-2007-chinook-pass-deadwood-lakes
Robie
2007-11-23 20:23:11