Home > Trip Reports > November 20 - Muir

November 20 - Muir

11/15/07
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Snow Bell on 11/21/07 9:29am
     Our group of four; Rob, Richard (Lintermans), Ryan (Sthlfree) and I arrived to a closed gate at Longmire just after 8:00.  Judging by the snow on the ground and the crystal clear view of the mountain, it was going to be a good day.  We ordered breakfast at the hotel and received our meal just as the gate opened.  We were not worried about the snow being tracked out as it was a Tuesday but rather we were optimistic that one of the two cars ahead of us would cut a skin track through the 6 to 10 inches of fresh snow that we expected to find.
     We arrived at Paradise the third car in the lot.  A telemarker, Joel, was setting out just as we pulled in.  Ahead of him (we would later learn) was a solo woman skier.  There was plenty of snow for skinning out of the lot with temps approaching 30, clear skies and sunshine.  A snowboarder with snowshoes showed up as we departed the car.  We were skinning by 10:00.
     The climb was the normal slog with much better than average visibility and no wind.  It was cold but the sun kept us warm and thankful to be there on such a beautiful day.  A good skin track was in place and we found ourselves atop Pan Point in no time.  We took a short break and continued upward and onward.  Near pebble creek I needed to stop and apply more duct tape to my heels (I need boot help) where the snowshoer passed me.  Ryan was able to pass him later on but I followed him the rest of the way up to Muir (so much for the nice skin track).  The climb took us about 4 hours (some more, some less) and we were rewarded with the wonderful views that accompany clear skies from the camp.  We chatted with Joel who it turns out shares a friend and a profession with Ryan.  He was visiting from out of town (Kansas City was it?) so the €œsmall world€ vibe was in full effect.
     We departed Muir around 3:00 and Joel was interested in joining us down the Upper Nisqualy Chute which looked to be in great shape from Pan Point.  I was unsure of the entrance point to the chute and went ahead to do some recon.  I dropped west much too high and found a descent rout filled with crevasses, cliffs and rocks.  Once I realized my mistake, I was several hundred feet below my party and reluctantly applied my skins once again.  (Yielding me an even 5K for the day.)  I made a climbing traverse and rejoined my party shortly.  I had apparently lost whatever confidence our group had in my navigational skills and time was pressing.  We needed to get on the road as Richard had a flight to catch that evening so we scraped the chutes and opted for a direct decent. 
    The upper snowfield held very nice snow.  8 to 12 inches that was cold and light and skied just right.  I just hope that I live long enough to see that mountain grow enough to put another 5 or 10 degrees on that slope.  From about 7,500ft or so down it was a rock minefield.  €œHere€™s one€ and €œthere€™s one€ was a constant dialog in my mind as I pointlessly tried to avoid the thinly veiled threats.  I was sure that I was leaving a trail of sawdust behind me.  We gingerly traversed south around the top of Pan Point and found some nice turns before the final slide down to the lot.  We quickly stuffed our gear into the car, said goodbye to Joel and were unceremoniously off.
     It had been another beautiful day on the hill.  The car was cramped and smelled of wet boots but we were satiated and I for one was already thinking about my next ski trip.  Thanks guys.
Sorry I missed the excitement guys! Great TR.
Entrance to the chutes is at approx 8350 ft on Muir trail, turn 90deg.
Soon be finished with this work nonsense and ski with you again!

i was right behind the guy on shoe shoes as he took out the nice skin track.
the temp in the parking lot was 22 degrees @ nearly 10 am. like you say the snow was very light. did note several slides in the chutes and since i was solo opted to pass this trip. skied right side of Pan Point. you might have seen the large amounts of Avy Debri. looked like the first skier down tripped it.
found great snow continuous to the parking lot

Hey Joe - I wondered how it was on the Muir snowfield.  Thanks for the report.  Let me know when you've fulfilled your familial duties enough to ski again.  I'm dreaming about the next trip, too.

Don Rusty Knees

author=Scotsman link=topic=8228.msg32968#msg32968 date=1195703318]
Sorry I missed the excitement guys!

I didn't think that you would be too disappointed as it was just "Muir Snowfield again."  Anyway, we probablly wouldn't have seen you again once we started the climb.  BTW, be careful about this work thing.  It sounds like a trap to me.

author=rnbfish link=topic=8228.msg32971#msg32971 date=1195707800]
i was right behind the guy on shoe shoes as he took out the nice skin track.
the temp in the parking lot was 22 degrees @ nearly 10 am.

I can sure understand why a snowshoer would want to walk on the skintrack and I obviously don't have any justification to disallow it but that doesn't prevent me from resenting it. 
Where is the rule book?
I'm sure that you are right about the temp at the lot rnbfish.  I was speculating and expected it to be in the low 20's but with the full sun I was wearing only a baselayer top and reasoned that it may be closer to 30.   Keep me in mind for a carpool in the future.  We could meet up in Tacoma as I am out of Bremerton.

author=Rusty Knees link=topic=8228.msg32972#msg32972 date=1195708581]
Hey Joe - I wondered how it was on the Muir snowfield. Thanks for the report. Let me know when you've fulfilled your familial duties enough to ski again. I'm dreaming about the next trip, too.
Don Rusty Knees

I will do that Don.  I am trying to get ahead of the game on the family duties so that I can fly when the snow does.  We'll just have to see how that works out. 

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.  I suspect that we may all thankful for some of the same things.   ;)

Wed, Nov 21 up at Paradise & Muir snowfield.  Bluebird day, temps upper 20s to mid 30s.  Skin’d right from parking lot, snow cover adequate, good skin tracks in place along Deadhorse Creek.  Diverted at 6500’ on the approach west of Pan Point, very wind loaded area on the Skyline trail up along the ridge there, looks like small slab broke away (suspect triggered by someone trying to get up that route).  Opted to traversed across over to the bottom of Pan Pt and ascend up that way; lots of loose snow there now, exposed and hidden rocks, looking a bit tracked out.  Further up, nice to see all that pow back, especially up on the snowfield proper, skiing was fantastic up above Pebble.  Like mentioned in Nov 20 report, beware of rocks below Pebble Ck, including Pan Point – after all my p-tex work from two weeks ago, looks like I got my work cut out for me yet again… “rock minefield” was an accurate description and no exaggeration!

Reply to this TR

november-20-muir
Snow Bell
2007-11-21 17:29:10