Home > Trip Reports > June 15, 2003, Foss Peak, via Castle Saddle

June 15, 2003, Foss Peak, via Castle Saddle

6/15/03
Posted by JW on 6/17/03 7:18am
At our morning omelete stop Jeanette say's, you know that top secret location will probably have good snow for awhile yet. Perhaps we should consider Foss Peak instead, might be the last chance this year.  Good call Mad Dog. ;). So off we go, skinned up to Castle saddle finding the snow still firm enough to require ski crampons.   Then a long traverse to the last pitches leading to Foss Peak  ( or 6524 tween Castle and Unicorn). We then loaded up and made the top by about 12:30 pm.   After sandwiches, we  found the corn feilds had ripened nicely. About 1" of soft atop a firm base. We did encounter some major runnels and sun cupping in spots but mostly smooth. We were able to decend to about 5000 before loading out to the road, where we realized  we had two cars and they were both at the starting line. Damn, even with Jeanette hitching we could'nt get a ride.  Great tour , great friends !!!    
It was another great day in the PNW and yet another great "corn" harvest alright!!  Don't know why I could get that ride, it's worked before, even got a lift from the Park Ranger   ;D

Good words, JWman.
As I recall, Mad Dog, that Ranger that gave us a ride last year was female.  So what am I getting at?  Uh, oh well, I think I'd better drop this before I get into trouble  ;D
She probably just felt sorry for us.
Here's a shot of the world famous Jerry of JW Designs, crankin' out corn on the Foss:

Jerry's pics are at:
http://community.webshots.com/album/77423112ElrtlN
The rest of mine are at:
http://groups.msn.com/WildHeartsSkiing/fosspeak61503.msnw

That was a great day of skiing! I hiked to the Castle late in the day Sunday. I hooted at 2 skiers skiing down. I was looking at your tracks on Foss. Great work! Unfortunatly I tweaked my knee on the climb up to Castle. I was dreaming of the ski from The peak of Foss to the Road. There is one direct line that is very steep and going to rot out soon. The knee was not bad enough to keep me from climbing to Muir the next afternoon and skiing down as the sun was sinking. The snow surface looked like a day old glazed donut, but skied like a fresh buttery croissant! We wanted to ski the main Nisqually Chute, but opted to do the lower chutes due to time, snow setting up and fatigue.
I enjoy your comments and Keep the dream alive!

Thanks for the kind words, Joe.
Yes, there is really some great tours around Paradise.
Sorry to hear about your knee.  It's always a struggle when you're nursing injuries.  
Nonetheless, it sounds like you're doing your part at keeping the dream alive, too!

looks like you guys had a nice day again  :) great pictures

have fun this weekend
cheers
ivo

Reply to this TR

june-15-2003-foss-peak-via-castle-saddle
JW
2003-06-17 14:18:38