Home > Trip Reports > Chinook Pass - Oh MAN!

Chinook Pass - Oh MAN!

11/15/07
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Don Heath on 11/20/07 11:11am
Dan and I headed up to Chinook today.  The road was fine, cleared and sanded by the time we got there.  With this good weather, my bet is the road will be open into next week.  The ridge was calling to us from the parking lot.  Some nice guys with their dogs had already set an uptrack, so we had it very easy. 

The snow was about the best I've ever skied.  12-15" of very light powder on top of the existing base.  We mad about five YO's up and and over down into the bowls on the other side of the ridge.  It was the kind of forgiving soft powder that makes it seem like you can do no wrong.  I skied my new (used - last year's Marmot rentals) Reverends with hammerhead bindings, and MAN did they float!  Dan split boarded and his butt didn't touch the snow once.

We couldn't get any snow to slide, by skiing, though we didn't dig a pit.  There was a light layer of Hoar on the surface, even this afternoon.  The sky was blue, not even a hint of breeze - just one of the best days I've ever had. 

The New Belgium and the Pyramid Hefe finished the day.
Right-on!  Sounds like a great day and some good enthusiasm.

I'd cross the border for snow and bluebird conditions like that. ;)

Great day indeed!

Sunshine and blue sky. Almost no wind. A few equipment malfunctions, but nothing a beer can't fix.

Here are a few more pics.

author=Rusty Knees link=topic=8217.msg32909#msg32909 date=1195614714]
There was a light layer of Hoar on the surface, even this afternoon.

Was wondering if that old hoar was going to show up with the clear cold nights.
Maybe something to watch out for, especially on the north faces when the next storm cycle comes in, meanwhile great to ski!
Good Job-Thanks for the conditions report.
Joe

Beautiful day with beautiful conditions indeed.  You early risers did an excellent job of testing stability and marking the good snow with squiggly tracks for the afternoon crowd to follow. ;)  With the forecast cold temps the conditions should stay excellent in the shade, although it will be necessary to hike a bit further than straight up from the parking lot for an untracked line.  Definitely want to watch that hoar, it's amazing how fast that stuff pops up.

Great to meet you, Rusty Knees.  Hopefully we will cross paths again in similar conditions.

Marc

Reply to this TR

chinook-pass-oh-man
Don Heath
2007-11-20 19:11:54