Home > Trip Reports > Nov 18, 2007, Mt. Hood south side

Nov 18, 2007, Mt. Hood south side

11/18/07
OR Mt Hood
Posted by steve_f on 11/19/07 4:03pm
Lifts were not running Sunday.  Walked up to silcox hut at 7000' in average 3" of light fluffy snow with no base.  Skinned up to 7700' in the main gulley.  A few inches more fresh snow on probably about a foot base from 7000' up.  Once out of the gulley, the wind was blowing too hard to keep going, and the Palmer snowfield looked blown pretty baren for how much snow was supposed to be at that elevation.  If the visibility was good I might have been able to find good deposits though.  Skied in the gulley back down a few hundred feet below silcox hut and luckily didn't ruin my skis. Walked back down to the parking lot.

In the two hours it took me to get up and back, it had snowed another 2" and from the reports they got a total of about 20" from that storm, so today might have been pretty good up high.  Had to work today though, bummer.  Anyway, pretty much all the snow from the two big storms in October was gone below 7000', so I bet it will still be pretty sketchy rock wise until we get s'more.
way to get out there in the bad weather!!

do you remmember if the winds were sustained from any particular direction?

The wind seemed to be coming from the north, which seems a bit odd.  Usually it is coming from the west.  Hmm, not sure how reliable I am as a source, but that's what I recall. 

Reply to this TR

nov-18-2007-mt-hood-south-side
steve_f
2007-11-20 00:03:17