Home > Trip Reports > November 18 Northway Peak

November 18 Northway Peak

11/15/07
Posted by Kyle Miller on 11/19/07 8:58am
I had to go check out the progress on the North back chair and have somewhat of a symbolic goodbye to Northway peak before It became a HUGE mogul field so I was hiking up crystal in the dark at 3am with less then a inch of fresh and had summited by 5am. I decided to go into the ski patrol shack and take a nap while the sky started to lighten. A few hours later I was awaken by snow puking outside so I decided I would sleep some more and let the snow acumulate. When I woke up around 10am there was more then 6 inches in green valley so I rode to the bottom of the chair then started boot packing up to the teddybear chutes (horseshoe cliffs now) and straight up Otto Bahn to the summit of the North back chair. I decided to take the 2 minute hike to the summit of Northway peak and do the main chute which provided face shots and little sluffalanches. after that I followed the chair line down to the bottom of Northway and was picked up by a friend from the dorms.
Goodbye to all the good memories of poaching the North back to chest deep pow or waiting in the trees for the Ski patrol to do there end of the day sweep then getting the Northback all to your self :(
I am a southback man myself but do love ripping thru the northback. Thank god the southback is still a pain for most to get to, I can have it all to myself while the rest ski the new chair.

Chris

I read somewhere that outdoorsfolks and environmentalists should generally oppose ALL
new ski runs/lifts/areas.  That was about 25 years ago.

Kyle, looked like a decent day.  I'm looking to get out Sat. and Sun. as well, so is Eric I think.  We should do something...swell is looking pretty good for Saturday too...maybe surf sess then hit the pow?  Let me know...

Reply to this TR

november-18-northway-peak
Kyle Miller
2007-11-19 16:58:22