Home > Trip Reports > Nov 17: Heliotrope Ridge

Nov 17: Heliotrope Ridge

11/15/07
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by savegondor on 11/19/07 6:40am
Snoslut, Scott, and myself aka 'savegondor' made our way up to Heliotrope this past Saturday with promises of fresh snow and good turns. On the way we met an Old Mustang driving Candian hiking in circa 1990 Solomon ski boots and a couple yougins from Western.

Snoslut, due to his utter failure to get even just one wink of sleep was dubbed as only deserving a Bud Light after his meager acheivement of only one lap in the fresh pow pow.  Scott was dubbed 'Superlight' because he only made one lap and didn't intend on drinking any beer at all after said adventure.  Myself, I had sleep, and made three laps in 5-8 inches of fresh light and dry on top of 1-2 feet of consolidated slop.  I earned my Stout.

There was evidence of numerous wet-snow slides from last week's rain.  Coverage averaged knee deep from treeline to about 1000 feet above treeline where we turned around due to zero visibility.  Skiing was great but I went about it gingerly due to the frequent encounters my ski bases had with rocks.

-J aka 'savegondor'

PS!!! It should be noted that the trail to treeline is now significantly more difficult (add one hour) due a lot of windfall from a windstorm that brought 90+ mph winds to Mt. Baker last week.
no video from our favorite cinematographer??

Your movies are the feel good hit(s) of the season! ;)

Shame on me for sleeping in! I felt the shame all Saturday....

Video coming as soon as snoslut and Stugie get me their pics and vids.

;D
                     ;D
                     ;D
                     ;D
                 ;D ;D ;D
             ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
             ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
            ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
          ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

That is what my liver said to me after the TGR show at Nuemo's followed by after hours but not before riding some pow in the morning.

Good thing I got the rest of the week off to make it up to my liver.  I think I'll rub some powder on it.

This tr should be dubbed "Log Jammin".

Jayme pm me your email address and I'll get you those pics tonight.  I'll be on the road and don't know when I'm returning.

you gotta get me those vids and pics somehow...and I'll make sure it's called logjammin.

-j

I can e-mail you some pics...vid of climbing through our rubble laden, half-awake, sleep deprived hike will have to wait though...i'm not sure how to get that to you yet.  Working on 2.5 hrs sleep, driving from Tacoma to Baker and back in a day, and recovering from the flu I would like to change my title of "superlight" to "electro-lyte". ;)

Jamye - I have a few more pics, but not many since I ended up not bringing the camera out much.

Eric - I can't get tomorrow or Wed. 

all in all, helluva lot of fun though.  We'll keep our ears open, I think I know of some "sweet" spots, especially now that there's a bit of coverage...

Snoslut and Stugie,

I was thinking we could amass those vids and pics over the next two weeks or so by using a 10 dollar usb device.  I'll pick one up, mail it to both of you, load the pics on it, and send back on snail mail.  shouldn't cost more than 50cents a pop.

-Jayme

that's brilliant man!  Nice thinking!  Yeah, let's do that.

Reply to this TR

nov-17-heliotrope-ridge
savegondor
2007-11-19 14:40:57