Home > Trip Reports > November 18, 2007, Paradise

November 18, 2007, Paradise

11/18/07
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Charlie Hagedorn on 11/18/07 11:32am
A fumbled alarm clock, hypothesized wardrobe malfunctions, and apathy turned my 6 am alarm clock into an 11:30 am start from the visitor's center at Paradise. The drive up turned to snowy roads at the Nisqually bridge. ~15 cars in the parking lot when I left. Snow was 6-10" of almost cohesionless powder reasonably well bonded to a soft, textured, thin, and icy crust. Winds primarily from the east and light all day. Snowed smallish diameter slightly wet flakes all day.

I skinned as high as Glacier Vista and turned around in subservience to my PT's advice (he'd be proud). Figured out how to remove my skins without removing my skis, thus leaving the dynafit toes locked (the PT'll be unhappy, see biff below). Unremarkable ski down, save for it being my first experience in such low density snow (that stuff is fun!). Chatted with lots of folks, from tele to snowboard to snowshoes. Bit it just outside the visitor's center while trying to kindly skirt past a tourist; those friendly football sized trail demarcating rocks aren't so friendly when buried under half a foot of powder.

Chains were needed heading home - beware the unchained tourists! Snow was sticking to all but the road at elevations lower than Ashford. Tomorrow should be great; I'm hoping for a serving of corn on Thanksgiving...
Snowtroll and myself were out at Paradise yesterday.  The rain on Saturday formed an ice crust (at least up to 7000ft where we maxed out for the day).  It made for some interesting skinning on traverses at points (especially up the summer trail to Pan Point).  It may be a layer to watch as more snow accumulates.  Broke for lunch at around 7k and headed down through Edith Creek Basin.  Some nice pockets of snows were to be had and we hoped the ice put a nice protective coating over any lurking rocks...We were able to ski/board to the main lot. 

Reply to this TR

november-18-2007-paradise
Charlie Hagedorn
2007-11-18 19:32:16