Home > Trip Reports > Nov17, 2007, Table Mt.

Nov17, 2007, Table Mt.

11/17/07
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by Telemon on 11/17/07 11:57am
Not a particularly good day. It started with inexcusable delays at the border (see my rant in the Random Section) and ended with poor visibility and difficult snow conditions forcing an early end to the day. On the plus side, I met some nice individuals from B.C., who allowed me to join them in the bc around Table Mt. I also met several TAYers in the parking lot as we returned in the driving snow (Kam and his posse). Oh yes, I completed my first four years of turns all year.
Wow!  Congrats  - 4 years - I'm inspired.  I'd still like to connect with you up in that area or on Steven's for some telemark lessons - one old guy to another.    Let me know when you plan to head out again.  It looks like we're heading to Paradise on Tuesday.  If that works for you pm me.
Don aka Rusty Knees

I don't know about the worst TR of the year, but definitely the worst TR that I have ever submitted! Sorry, just not a lot of plusses on the day.

My feelings are the report was very informative, and thoughtful.
I did not know Kam was in town! Welcome back Kam!
Telemon was thoughtful to put his rant in an appropriate place-Random Tracks. Instead of laying all the details out about the border crossing in this thread.
Sounded like the snow and visibility was marginal comparing it to the telemetry, at least you got to see Kam and his group. 
That is always a plus!
I think a good snow dump will resolve all the issues of "good or worst reports", instead of having my thermals in a wad sitting around thinking about rating reports, I can leave my opinions at home and hit the hill for some peace.  :)
May a snow base be coming to our hills soon!

Telemon,
              congratulations on your 48 months. We all have bad days and a trip report should reflect the reality of the situation and doesn't always have to be sunny and upbeat. I enjoyed your honesty. Keep your tips up, tails down and goggles on as there's snow coming! YEEHAAA.

Congrats, Telemon, on your 48th month!!  I look forward to meeting you up at Whistler this coming weekend, especially after reading your TRs.  Now, I just need to find me some crazy tie-tyed hat and have you autograph it...
I also passed your comments about the border crossing on to my friends... 

i concur with telemon. not worth the drive from seattle. wet heavy snow, and no visibility. i wonder what kam's joy-o-meter registered!
telemon, i think we ran into each other, we were the group of 3 who parked next to you...

We had a big group of bachelor party goers, so we had low expectations to begin with.  It got quite a bit colder after you left, Ema, and continued to snow heavily.  We got a couple of nice laps down the blueberry chutes through heavy, wet snow, but I've skied a lot worse and didn't hit any rocks.  Plus!  It'll be a great base if it stays cold.

author=ema link=topic=8186.msg32766#msg32766 date=1195431930]
ii wonder what kam's joy-o-meter registered!

Having skied from the car, the JOM was 100%.  After a summer's worth of long hikes to snow, I'm happy for the return of it to the trailhead, however wet.  That said, it definitely felt like November out there.

Good to meet you, Telemon, and all hopes the return to BC was smoother than the morning's crossing.
-s

Telemon!!! it was a pleasure to finally meet you!!  next time with better planning we'll make a few turns together.

i was disappointed with the JOM reading: 100%.  not good.  i need more dirt, rocks, and twigs.  next time for sure.

all-in-all it was a great day in the mountains.  i'd commit without hesitation to running 1000 miles with my hands tied behind my back for the same conditions. 

oh another thing that made Nov. 17th on skis so special was hearing a “YES!” from Allyson….  :)

I hear them girls from the Shire are keepers. Congratulations!

What you see above is a great example of the contradictory nature of trip reports on sites such as TAY or TTPs. I have produced trip reports I would humbly describe as being excellent in regards to information and photography that generated nary a response.

Yesterday I tossed together something that I thought capsulized the day for me. I wasn't trying to be controversial. I don't like starting my day late and I don't like quiting early. The conditions made me look and feel like a much poorer skier than I am. I could have said all of the usual stuff like "any day on the mountains..." or "I need exercise", but I did choose to mention other positives such as meeting some nice people and briefly connecting with other TAYers. I also mentioned that it was snowing heavily, which would be rather good news for most readers. In addition, I did reach a rather modest TAY milestone. If anyone is really interested, my party climbed to a whited-out Artist Point and skied one of the Blueberry Chutes with bc virgin (the puppy in the photo).

I wish that conditions would have allowed me to have skied with and properly met more of the TAY gang on the mountain. Did I get it right,Kam, that you made a wedding proposal at Artist Point? If so, you are the one who should be getting the congratulations. No wonder your joymeter was hitting 100% or was it because you haven't been able to enjoy the great summer and fall skiing that we have seen around Mt.Baker?

author=Telemon link=topic=8186.msg32790#msg32790 date=1195449413]... you are the one who should be getting the congratulations.

congrats to you too, Telemon!  seriously, 48 months is a great accomplishment!  heck, congrats to both of us.  let's celebrate.  ppsss...<just opened a root beer>......gulp, gulp....burp.

author=Telemon link=topic=8186.msg32790#msg32790 date=1195449413]... No wonder your joymeter was hitting 100% or was it because you haven't been able to enjoy the great summer and fall skiing that we have seen around Mt.Baker?

my JOM is out of calibration because of where i live.  any hint of snow sets it off....  ding, ding.

I agree W/ Telemon.  Saturday was wet low and great good up high but visibility was limited with very flat light and fog.  Sunday was great.  Glad we got there before the mob today. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYiilAwYknM

Kam and Allyson - Wonderful news, and congratulations to you both...

Marco

Right on!!  That is very exciting!  And that is one helluva rock you got there Allyson. :)

Woot!  Congratulations Kam & Allyson!

But hey... I think you spilled some Mountain Dew on that diamond...

:)

author=Marcus link=topic=8186.msg32824#msg32824 date=1195510067">
But hey... I think you spilled some Mountain Dew on that diamond...

i like to think of it as more of a kryptonite color.  ;)  definitely helped me find my way down the hill in the whiteout...nothing like a bright green beacon!  all in all, despite the so-so conditions, it was a fantastic day, with fantastic company.  and i got to take my 1st pair of homebuilt skis out for a test drive.  sweet!

thanks to everyone for all the congrats, and here's to you too telemon!  way to make it to year number 4.  8)

Allow me to be the first ;) to congratulate Kam & Allyson.

Not that I know them or anything, but Kam was willing to take a unknown ingredient (me) Sat. along on what was to be obviously a big day, and has been generous of his time as well. Good people, I sense. The smiles are real ;)

Telemon, my friend, I can assure you I know what authority looks like gleaming off a spit polished jack boot under the border booths lights.

Through actions that were no one elses fault but my own, I got on the Canadian "list" (who knew you guys even had one?) about 10 years ago, and a diligent vetting is now mine whenever I set foot in the Great White North.

So, my friend, temper your indignation with the knowledge that you wouldn't (I assume) choose to earn income by treating others in that particular authoritarian manner.

Border guards have a place in the world, just not in OUR world.

I didn't get many action shots, but there are some nice scenics and shows great coverage from our tour to artist point on the next day, Sunday 11/18:

http://splitboard.com/talk/viewtopic.php?p=27650

Congratulations to you Telemon.

If I'd have followed the weather forecasting site that I have bookmarked  http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/forecast/MapClick.php?site=sew&smap=1&textField1=48.812083333333&textField2=-121.76375  and not spent Sunday with my son, I would have been up with you, Loom, enjoying the better conditions.

Way to go Telemon!  Didn't Scotsman just get 4 years too?  Anyway, hope to see you guys sometime this winter!

Reply to this TR

nov17-2007-table-mt
Telemon
2007-11-17 19:57:34