Home > Trip Reports > Muir 11.14

Muir 11.14

11/15/07
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by FreeBird on 11/14/07 12:30pm
Went to Muir today...was able to skin most of the way up Pan Chute.  Then walked over rocks and ice for about 30 minutes...and skinned the rest of the way to Muir...where it was blowin' 50+...needless to say there wasn't much time for lunch...Snow was variable but most of it was sweet creamy styrofoam.  Skied all the way to the car except for one small rock crossing.  Without rock skis there would have been more walking required.
Wow, between you, Scotsman, Snowbell and others, there's going to have to be a new website devoted to Turns-every-day! 

I'm impressed with your free time, Freebird! 

Hey Freebird,

I was the other guy up there, the one without rock skis that required more walking. :p  I would have stayed longer to chat, but with all the wind, I couldn't hear a word you were saying. I've never seen the ledges so wind-scoured and snowless.  Telemetry shows 50-75mph!  You got outta Muir fast, and just the right time, the cloud ceiling was dropping fast and my first 500' of turns were blind.  Pretty nice after that. 

On an unrelated note, while driving through South Hill on my way to Paradise, I passed a newer silver Toyota 4-Runner with 3 guys and 3 pair BC skis.  At the time, I thought they might be going to Paradise as well, but there was no sign of them when I got there.  On the way home, while driving back through South Hill again, who did I see, but the same Toyota 4-Runner.   Nice timeing, eh?  Are you guys TAY'ers?  Where did you ski?

We also saw the Toyota 4-runner on the way home...

That was us in the 4runner.  We skied the Nisqually chute.  Extremely boney but some nice snow/turns in spots.

And the great mystery finally reveals itself! We should all carpool next time :p 

Looks a bit like my day earlier this weekend: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Y1J42DDpTA

so is styrofoam the preferred term for this snow?  To me that indicates a certain amount of sublimation and hollowness...while that snow up there was quite soft and solid.  How about wind-packed snow with rime and a touch of groupel on the side? 

_Jayme

Reply to this TR

muir-11-14
FreeBird
2007-11-14 20:30:32