Home > Trip Reports > 11.13 Chinook Pass...The other 3

11.13 Chinook Pass...The other 3

11/15/07
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by FreeBird on 11/14/07 12:10pm
4 inches of dust on top of windblown crust made for some fun turns...The sun made an appearance...Coverage was pretty thin but the wind layer kept you above most of debris.  Although one of my friends went into a rock field a little hot but at least he smiling when he pulled his head out of the snow... ;D  I swear he has used up all nine lives and is now in double digits.
author=FreeBird link=topic=8163.msg32639#msg32639 date=1195099848]
one of my friends went into a rock field a little hot but at least he smiling when he pulled his head out of the snow... ;D  I swear he has used up all nine lives and is now in double digits.

In two of the past three "seasons" (used loosely on TAY) I've taken fairly serious injuries (separated shoulder once, ripped rotator cuff the other time) riding too agressively in shallow powder in November.  Found rocks both times.  And I think I've been lucky -- lately there have been some far uglier reports of the consequences of skiing too hard in thin cover and/or at unseen obstacles.

It really sucked healing and rehabbing for half the season, then being careful for a few months afterwards.  Hitting your stride in April is a bummer.

All in all getting hurt in May is a better plan, so watch out fo those dorsal fins this weekend and don't let the powder fever go to your head :)

Once you are at the top of the meadows at Chinook (sounds like a housing development ...) the "run" on skiers right is less rocky.  On the "run" to the left, there are significant rock piles towards the top to the right side, and sporadic boulders spread out like landmines all over the place halfway down.

author=hankj link=topic=8163.msg32661#msg32661 date=1195157980]
On the "run" to the left, there are significant rock piles towards the top to the right side

That is excellent advise hankj.  The right side of the "run" to skiers left was exactly where I damaged my ski.  I will assume that all of your words of wisdom are as accurate as this and I will take it easy until there is more coverage.

Then all bets are off.

Reply to this TR

11-13-chinook-pass-the-other-3
FreeBird
2007-11-14 20:10:48