Home > Trip Reports > June 15, 2003, Goat Mtn. via Twin Lks.

June 15, 2003, Goat Mtn. via Twin Lks.

6/15/03
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by ema on 6/16/03 7:18am
Karl, Kota, and I parked at the first of the 5 switchbacks on the road below Twin Lks. Snowpack was minimal on the road, and the faces I had skied on May 27, linking them down to Swamp Cr. are fully burnt out...The lakes are still under snow, and I'd guess at 4' of snowpack. Winchesters S.E. face is also burning out quickly. So, with no real plan other than to get some quick turns, we booted up the small north facing peak just above the lakes under partly cloudy skies. Once here, Karl asked if I'd be into traversing out the ridge toward Goat. Instantly I agreed....So, traversed under Bear, and along the corniced ridge-line at a pretty constant elevation. Then under another peak (part of Goats 3 summits?) gliding on skis. Then, onto the glacier. It took an easy hour. Not as long as I had expected, having contemplated this route from below many times. Skinned up the glacier and made it to the summit. Nice views all around under a quickly disipating cloud cover. Skied perfect snow from the summit, over rollers and through a couple of short, steep rock lined sections. No slough, just corn peeling off on each turn. Once the angle relaxed, the rain/drain runnels were around, but not bad at all. Enjoyed the run down to SWAMP CREEK GORGE!!!!This exit would have been perfect for entry and exit with the snowpack I encountered in this area last month. But now it was raging torrent under sketchy snow bridges covered with rock and avy debris. Many moats are cut-in also. Just being in this Gorge is unsettling right now, not to mention no helmet!....Downclimbed around moats and debris, across the canyon walls, over a snowbridge, bushwacked to a boulder field and then climbed a hundred vert. or so back to the truck. Beers were welcomed as we had "Got our Goat"....

Reply to this TR

june-15-2003-goat-mtn-via-twin-lks
ema
2003-06-16 14:18:40