Home > Trip Reports > Nov 13 Chinook Pass

Nov 13 Chinook Pass

11/15/07
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Scotsman on 11/13/07 8:59am
After late evening viewing of the telemetry a trip to Chinook Pass was planned with two new ski partners, Snow Bell and Sthilfree.

We set off with some trepidation that here would be enough snow and there was but not nearly as much as when I had skied up here in early October.

Still, there was enough, roughly 4" to 8" of good stuff on a thin base and by choosing some grassy slopes that I will forever be in debt to Jodebaker for showing me, some decent skiing was accomplished. ;DThanks Joe! :) :) :)

Weather was nice and cold with no wind and lots of periods of blue sky. We saw three other skiers but didn't get their names.
A good day but we need more snow and  I was a bit disappointed by this storm's dumpage but not by the skiing which was good.

I also tried out my new used Volant Spatulas on a short slope near the car and they are gonna rock in the right conditions but weigh a ton.
Thanks to Snow Bell and Stihlfree for a great day. ;D
I'm thinking about heading up there this weekend.  Can you share any details about the location of those grassy slopes?  Or is that top secret.

The names are Carl, Tara, and Nate  :D
Yes, the grassy slopes are top secret but easy to find...

Hey Freebird, thanks for the names. Sorry Greg but as the tradition goes I can't tell  where the grassy knoll is, only show but they are easy to figure out. You can see the tracks from the road.

author=Scotsman link=topic=8156.msg32602#msg32602 date=1195001997]

Thanks to Snow Bell and Stihlfree for a great day. ;D

Thank you Scotsman for leading the charge.  I was glad to visit that spot but I have since wiped the memory of where to find it from my feeble mind as the responsibility of such knowledge is too much for me to bare. 
There is however one rock on the grassy knoll and I found it   ???
It made my ski bleed sawdust   >:(
I was sad for my ski   :'(
Then you scraped your Spats over the rocks before ever making your first turn   :-[
You were not angry   >:(    or sad  :'(    but thrilled as a little school girl about your new sticks  ;D
You are a excellent example to us all    ;)
I'll bet that you are cooler than the Scotsman  @ T.Tips   8)

Well, duh....

Snowbell, you went w/ one of my best buds.  What are you guys doing this Sat.?

I'll bet you guys will be seeking out some powder.  Me guys will be actively practicing the high arts of parenting and husbandry.  I want to head into the season with a strong positive time balance in the domestic account.  You might think that easy as I am a full time dad but that only seems to raise expectations.  Fortunately, the last two days have wet my beak enough that I should be held over until the next storm (as long as it is soon).

Get fired and we'll join Scotsman in his ski spree of a life time.  Otherwise we should meet up one of these weekends when things really get underway.

Sounds like good priorities; I'll just bother Chris W. about this Sat.

BTW, doesn't "husbandry" mean "the breeding of animals for agricultural purposes"? 

Sheepishly yours, M

author=telemack link=topic=8156.msg32662#msg32662 date=1195158419]

BTW, doesn't "husbandry" mean "the breeding of animals for agricultural purposes"?

hus·bandry (huz′bən drē)

noun

Archaic management of domestic affairs, resources, etc.
careful, thrifty management; thrift; frugality
the science or art of farming
Etymology: ME husbonderie: see husband

husbandry Synonyms
husbandry
n.

Farming
agriculture, tillage, land management; see farming.

Management of one's private affairs, home management, personal transactions, budgeting, housekeeping, domestic arrangement, business dealings, management, managership, stewardship, retrenchment; see also administration 1.

Thrift
providence, wise administration, thriftiness

I thought it also meant being a husband.  There had ought to be a word for that.  If there is not, I propose: Husbanding or Husbandmanship
(Indentured servitude seems to have a negative connotation.)

Anyway, perhaps I will breed some animals as well.  One never knows what the weekend may bring.

Yikes. And Scottie, when are you going to slow down enough to take some pictures.  I've got a pair of alpine trekkers if you want to try touring in the those spatulas. That should slow you down.  Can't wait to try them.

Snow Bell also offered alpine treckers for my spatulas. Spatulas plus alpine bindings plus alpine treckers and  Adreneline boots could be the heaviest touring set up around and has a sort of peverse attraction I find irresistable.

It could be an antidote to my recent dynafit addiction. Bring them next time we go out and I'll try it. :D

Reply to this TR

nov-13-chinook-pass
Scotsman
2007-11-13 16:59:57