Home > Trip Reports > Nov 11. Muir Snowfield Again!

Nov 11. Muir Snowfield Again!

11/15/07
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Scotsman on 11/11/07 9:55am
Stewie and I decided after seeing the Warren Miller film in Tacoma that we had to get out and rip some pow.  ;D Reality mean the only place to go was the Muir Snowfield and so we waited at the Longmire gate until they opened the gate at 9.00 am ish. NickBc my Canadian buddy I had just met at Baker two weeks ago was down here taking full advantage of the week dollar and he joined us for a death march to Pebble Creek. No skiable snow (unless desperate ) below Pebble Creek and the wind seems the have done it's damage on the Muir. In many areas it was blown clear down to the summer snow. The wind was howling form about 6,000 to 7600 ft and moderated to gale force above that.
We managed it until 8500 when motivation failed.
Rime, wind pack and ice , a very forgetable ski down , but at least we got out.
Those that did not go, missed nothing.
Can't wait for the fricking lifts to open!
It was however, great to renew and strengthen my frienship with NickBC.
Oh, I should add that I was considering skiing on the more sheltered Patch side but there was ( as should be expected) a very well developed wind slab on that aspect which varied from 4 to 8" thick and slid very easily on the base layer and I did not consider it a safe option today.
There are some dangerous lee slope conditions at the moment IMHO so be careful.

The conditions were just as Scotsman described.  We went all the way up to Muir and it was incredibly cold.
NWAC telemetry said the temp at muir was about 17 F with average winds in the mid forties--making the temp with wind chill about -5 F!  A little too cold for windswept hardpack, but it was good to get out and get above the clouds.

scotsman,Hmm I'm thinking thats same same Nick that i know from silcox hut. If it is, I'm  sorry that i wasnt  there to tough it with ya. IT would have been worth it  just like you said.

Are you still considering going to Baker on the 12th for more abuse, Scotsman? A forecast of a week of snow means that I will wait until next Saturday. Nick did the Silcox Hut trip several years ago, so you might have met him, Robie.

Howdy Scotsman,
We must have run into you at the 8k level then right?

It was Sergio on his new split and I that I think leapfrogged with you down the patches.

Howdy Scotteryx,
                            It was indeed me , Stewie and NickBC that you met at the 8K level. It was nice to meet you. Also it was indeed the NickBC who has frequented the Silcox Hut who skied with us.
He is a very fine gentleman and telemarker. ;D

I'll post pics in this thread later with a link, but it was a boneyard!
Even saw the Nisqually Chutes for a brief moment, and there is no entrance right now (maybe now there is!). Let's hope what's falling now is the base for the year.

I saw a couple of guys yesterday milk it almost to the cars on their skis. I mentioned to Sergio that they should get an award for a "Great Job!", and then kick in the face for being such dumb asses. Oh well, their bases will tell the story.

Aw you'se guys  :-[  It was great to catch up with you again Chris and to meet Stewie.  I thoroughly enjoyed our day as I like a challenge  ;D.  Seriously, any day in the mountains on your skis is a good one - visibility and skiable snow are merely incidentals  ;D

Hi Robie, long time no see!

Scotteryx,
"Kick in the face" seems a bit harsh and aggressive after all it's their Ptex and if they want to abuse it, that's their prerogative, as long as they weren't affecting you or meadow stomping why the flame man?
Live and let live!

Pan Point - yuck

hey scotsman, paul and i were up there on sunday too, and i had your shovel with me. at least i think it's your shovel - recovered from last years slush fest. you should let me know how i can get it back to you.

were you the guy pinning on a pair of circa 1985 atomic arcs. i haven't seen a pair of those in a long time.

boy, those were some superlative winds up on the muir snowfield...but i didn't think the skiing was that bad.

david

Glad you got some pics Scotteryx... my batteries froze up along with my hands, so the camera didn't do much good.   Damn those were some amazing winds!  The telemetry showed 60 to 70 mph at the time we were on the snowfield.  Was really glad to make it to the hut and get down.   As Dave said, we found the skiing to be much better than expected with really nice light and views of Adams, and those occassional pockets of blown powder. 

Reply to this TR

nov-11-muir-snowfield-again
Scotsman
2007-11-11 17:55:36