Home > Trip Reports > Nov 4, 2007, Wesach

Nov 4, 2007, Wesach

11/4/07
Posted by NWBCer on 11/8/07 2:29pm
What a difference a few weeks makes! Another substantial crew (by nw bc standards) made it up to wesach last sunday for some turns. After a slight over-estimation of my work truck's prowess in the deep (following what I later found out was natu's CHAINED UP truck track), resulting in a little burial extracation practice.... we got to about 2km from the trailhead. Skinned up and headed for the west bowl/saddle feature (please feel free to correct me guido). A glorious day although a little on the chilly side (estimate -10 C) for most of the day. A solid climb put us at the saddle about 4,000' up from the truck. Most of the ski down was quite wind effected, although the last 500' afforded some very pleasant ankle deep happiness. Needing a little more pow-goodness caused most of the group to lap up the bottom section a second time.
Another great day in wesach with near record numbers (11 skiers + a guy on a quad). Better hurry on up here southern friends, our ski areas will have bumps on them soon at this rate ;)

Just throwing this out there......
Anyone out there looking to come up and check this place out (NW BC in general)... I'm leaving the country for a month and could use a house sitter. Dogs would have to stay in the yard (although if they were REALLY good doggies they could overnight in the porch I suppose). I may even be able to chuck a bunch of free ski days at our local hill (Shames Mountain) as I've got some corp passess. Of course if I get a few positive replies I would have to make a decision based on payola or swag (haha  8)
just chucking it out there...
cheers all!
couple more pics

I guess I should mention when I plan on taking off eh...
Jan 16 to Feb 17/08. I'd also like the lucky winner.. er I mean suitable mature norwegian ladies volleyball team... I mean house sitter (s) to be here for the 13th or 14th so I could introduce them to the powder clan, make sure they're  not 16 year old punk rock snowboarders (shh shh - I'm one too) or chain saw lunatics, and introduce them to my house.

You'll need fatties here ( I mean skis man, skis), small waisted people need not apply...
:)

Great photos...ton of snow up there!  Your offer is almost enough reason to quit my job! I've always wanted to spend some time up there...been to Vancouver and Whistler a ton of times but not farther up.  Shames looks like a fun little hill.  Anyhow, have a fun trip and thanks for the posts from up north.

PM sent

climberdave

Who knew!! That was fast, I never considered that the coach and power hitter of the norwegian girls VB team were also TAY devotees. Happy to report that the Norwegian ladies will indeed be house sitting for me (guess I'll have to get more corp passess though). Y'all should still come up here and check out the goods!

Dear Tayers I have manged to convince NWBCer that I am indeed a coach of a Norwegian female VB team. I now have to live up to the lies I have told.
If there are any of you out there who could pass for Norwegian Volleyballers, FEMALE, please, please let me know or he's going to find out what a loser I really am. Help! :D

SHHHH....keep it down about Shames and NW BC.  There are thousands that visit this site.  You don't want Terrace overrun by visitors or, worse, yuppies and realtors.  :) :) :)  Enjoy the quiet while you have it!
Cheers, Bill

PS: no offense intended if you happen to be a yuppie or realtor. 

BillK:
sadly, i'm forced to extol the virtues of the great NWBC because of a realty deal gone wrong. You see i bought my house on spec, thinking that 2 or 3 years after the purchase  a mega-ski corp would come in, buy Shames, and  I'd be able to flip it (a la whistler) for enormous profits, retiring on the proceeds and buying a pass to Aspen. Much to my chagrin, the big mill closed down, forestry tanked, and Intrawest never came to town. So now you see my only hope is that I convince 3000 to 4000 backcountry skiers to move to Terrace, drive up realty prices, sell my house for $589K and finally, purchase a 300 sq ft closet in Aspen. where i will wile away the hours riding high speed quads and skiing groomers with countless well dressed intermediates. Now BillK, you know THE REST OF THE STORY....

Reply to this TR

nov-4-2007-wesach
NWBCer
2007-11-08 22:29:27