Home > Trip Reports > 11/4 Paradise Patch MRNP

11/4 Paradise Patch MRNP

11/4/07
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Scotsman on 11/5/07 12:26am
Early Sunday morning saw I, Stewie and Blitz meeting up with RonJ, Mad-dog and Skierlyles at the Tall Timbers for a hearty breakfast. On arrival at Paradise the weather was not promising and a wet drizzle and clouds accompanied our bootpack up to the Patch although Mr. Jarvis skinned  most of the way, rock hopping in his skins where necessary.

On the way up we where joined by another intrepid pair, Brenda and MD2020. We climbed to the top of Pan point via the Patch following Ron's GPS instructions as the vis was so bad that you couldn't see much. At the top of the Pan, it was decided that today was a one run day due to the rather wet conditions.  After a quick round of "party in the mouth" sking commenced.

The snow was actually rather good and the group made it to the top of the Golden Gate where ski removal by the wise was undertaken and the foolish continued further down linking some patches. ;D

A day for the few and foolish but still fun and it was my 48th month of TAY and Blitz's 24th month of "nearly turns all-year" but I'm not sure that's really a category. ???

A day spent with friends such as these is never a wasted day. ;D
Congrats on completing your first 4 years, Chris. I hope to join the 48 month club in a week or so.

Hi all  stalwarts ,
geez Md2020 and Brenda musta been lost .I spent the day MT biking with Nitzy. I didn't feel like anything could top last weeks Jarvis jump.

Sounded like icky weather.  Scots, did you ski Saturday?  And that was a neat hike up Ellinor Friday, with stellar weather and fine views. 

author=telemack link=topic=8091.msg32354#msg32354 date=1194325671]
Sounded like icky weather. 

It might have been a little "icky" but the snow was really quite nice and we had such a fun group it just didn't matter.  You should have seen the group going over the "Jarvis Jump".  ;D.  Some nailed the landing, and others.........well, let's just say, had some rather spectacular landings  ;). 

Hey, I was up there on Sunday as well and went up to Camp Muir.  The weather was pretty meh down low, but above the clouds (8000 ft) it was sunny and clear, although windy.  The ride down was soft, but once back in the clouds confusing!!!

prestonf,
              We where pretty sure it was clear up there but we did not have enough"party in the mouth", left in the flask to summon up the energy to continue higher. Glad you got some and as you say it was confusing in the mank down below. ;D

Chris, way to go on the 48 streak. Alisa with 24. I love it!

Keep the reports coming.

Went up on the skyline trail on Sunday...  put on skins up at around 6000’.  Had to boot it on a few sections between there and Pebble Ck.  I too was looking for that break in the clouds, better visibility and so I continued up to just about 8000’ looking for it… never saw clearing or blue sky, in fact seemed to get thicker at times up there.  I ran into a boarder on his way down who said it did clear around above 8-9000’ (might have been preston?).  I was navigating via altimeter/compass (no gps) so didn’t want to risk going much higher, it was really soupy and hard to follow tracks on descent (& wanted to give myself extra daylight just in case).

The snow condition was awesome I thought, soft with a good base up, no ice, on the snowfield… perfect!  If it wasn’t for having to worry about going astray, it would have been rippin’.  Skied down to the Dead Horse ck trail, which seemed to have the most snow left (minus the bolders/rocks and was able to “SKI” down to about 5500’ with a few ski dismounts.

It’s time for some fresh snow up there again… this weekend looking good  ;D

It was so nice to be in mountains that I never noticed the drizzle 8).

JibberD, that is is 24 months ALMOST turns all year...
Just means I get to hangout with the kooks...

And the only reason MY WIPEOUT didnt get a 10 -  the slope was too shallow to ski out of it...

Nice driving STEWIE!!!  I hope you get to drive in snow next time.

author=cesaro link=topic=8091.msg32375#msg32375 date=1194383492]
I ran into a boarder on his way down who said it did clear around above 8-9000’ (might have been preston?). 

Hey, that was me, nice to bumb into you. 

Here's a pic a friend, who happened to be at Camp Muir, sent to me.  See, I wasn't full of it, there actually was decent vis up there ;D. 

The Muir snowfield is flat, but somehow this picture actually makes it look like it's uphill!!!

author=Mad_Dog link=topic=8091.msg32361#msg32361 date=1194362522]
It might have been a little "icky" but the snow was really quite nice and we had such a fun group it just didn't matter.  You should have seen the group going over the "Jarvis Jump".  ;D.  Some nailed the landing, and others.........well, let's just say, had some rather spectacular landings  ;). 

Hey Mad Dog:  Is the Jarvis Jump that lip at the top of the Patch?  I popped off that when we were up there Oct. 13 and I was spectacular too.  ;D

author=telemack link=topic=8091.msg32397#msg32397 date=1194413212]
Hey Mad Dog:  Is the Jarvis Jump that lip at the top of the Patch? 

No, not quite, this Jarvis Jump is "geezer" friendly  ;).  That lip at the top of the patch has really grown, if you unexpectedly caught it in a white-out it would certainly be a big surprise.

ahh, drizzle, low vis, and connecting patches at rainier...i wish i could have been there!  :D (and no, i'm not kidding!)  looks like it was a fun day for you all, as always!

Reply to this TR

11-4-paradise-patch-mrnp
Scotsman
2007-11-05 08:26:18