Home > Trip Reports > Ptarmigan Ridge, Mt. Baker Wilderness - 11-1-2007

Ptarmigan Ridge, Mt. Baker Wilderness - 11-1-2007

11/15/07
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by cmosetick on 11/2/07 7:14am

There was a light dusting of powder on the highway as I approached Heather Meadows, which made me very excited to see what it was like higher up.  I left the upper ski area parking lot around 10am and started skining about a mile or so from the lot.  It was a beautiful morning, and ended up being nice out all day long!!  Since it was my first time up at Artist Point that I havent been standing in the clouds with no visibility, I decided to explore some of the the areas ajacent to the Artist Point parking lot.  There was 2-3 inches of powder everywhere on top of a decent base.  I ran in to two groups of snow boarders near the Artist Point lot later in the day.  One group of two I chatted with for a while and they even offered me a beer, which I gladly accepted!!  Later on I toured Ptarmigan Ridge to the saddle with the steep drop off past the Chain Lakes - Ptarmigan Ridge interchange.  The table mountain trail was 99% snow covered, being only spotty in a few places.  It was also icy in a few places, most likely because of the the hot sun beating down on the trail on days like this one.  A few more inches of snow are needed to ski safely off the table mountain trail, as lots of rocks still remained exposed.  However, I did spot a few lines that looked like they might be fun farther down the trail.  Light clouds drifted in and out of the Ptarmigan Ridge / Table Mountain area early in the day, so I'm glad I waited to make the trip towards the ridge later in the day.  Overall, even though I did not get any serious turns in, I am completely satisfied with the days touring endeavors.  I made my return trip with the sun setting behind Mount Baker and me, and made it back to my truck around 6:45pm when it was just starting to be completely dark out.  The stars as I'm sure they usually are when there is no cloud cover were absolutely amazing.
Check out the rest of the photos at http://www.the808.net/gallery/november-2007

I don't mean to quibble , but technically you didn't travel on Ptarmigan Ridge if you only went to the saddle at the trail junction. :) The 95% snow covered trail that you referred to is the Table Mountain trail.The area is one of my favourite places; I have skied around there every month since July.
btw You didn't happen to see a black G3 skin bag. I lost it last Saturday near where you are standing on your first picture? :'(

author=Telemon link=topic=8075.msg32310#msg32310 date=1194070523">
I don't mean to quibble , but technically you didn't travel on Ptarmigan Ridge if you only went to the saddle at the trail junction. :) The 95% snow covered trail that you referred to is the Table Mountain trail.The area is one of my favourite places; I have skied around there every month since July.
btw You didn't happen to see a black G3 skin bag. I lost it last Saturday near where you are standing on your first picture? :'(

Telemon, the verbiage in my trip report is weak in a few places including the part that you pointed out.  I actually went past the interchange down the Ptarmigan Ridge trail a very short distance and my map shows that area as the start of Ptarmigan Ridge.  (My topo map is from the forest service) Also my map shows me as being on the start of the ridge where I'm standing in the first picture....  However, you are correct about the first mile of the Table Mountain trail.  I incorrectly referred to it as the ridge.  Thanks for keeping me on my toes!!  I'm sorry to hear about your skin bag.  I unfortunately did not see it.  Can you recommend any other good tours in the area?

--I went down the Ptarmigan Ridge trail a short ways. I'm not sure if that means your on the ridge or not.

You were definitely heading towards Ptarmigan Ridge when you passed the junction sign, so we'll leave it at that. In a month or so when the snow coverage is better, several day tours are possible. A popular circle route is upper parking lot to Artist Point, along the south side of Table, through the Galena Chain lakes, over Herman saddle and back to the car across Bagley Lakes. It could be done either way. There are variations of this route that include climbing on to Table Mountain from either the east or the west sides. A circuit around Mazama Dome is possible if you prefer less company on the trail. People do ski into the Lake Ann area, but I have never been there on skis. If you are more interested in getting turns over touring, Ptarmigan Mt.(next to the saddle that you were in), Table Mt. and Mt. Herman have some exciting slopes to play on.Lots to do in an area where you can start at 4,000'.

Hey!

This is my home skiing area, and through the holidays, I will be up there quite a bit.  I am planning on heading up for Thanksgiving weekend, come ski with us! PM before the holiday if you want to connect.

author=jenprince link=topic=8075.msg32327#msg32327 date=1194197168]
Hey!

This is my home skiing area, and through the holidays, I will be up there quite a bit.  I am planning on heading up for Thanksgiving weekend, come ski with us! PM before the holiday if you want to connect.

Thanks for the invite! I'll send you a PM when I have a better idea of what my schedule will be like around that time.

Reply to this TR

ptarmigan-ridge-mt-baker-wilderness-11-1-2007
cmosetick
2007-11-02 14:14:31