Home > Trip Reports > October 28, 2007, Chinook Pass, Mt. Baker Nat For

October 28, 2007, Chinook Pass, Mt. Baker Nat For

10/28/07
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by dmandave on 10/28/07 3:48pm
This is a repost of the original that I put here:
http://www.backcountryclub.org/1/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=26&func=view&catid=5&id=114#114
Unfortunately, neither of us brought our cameras, so there are no photos, but believe me when I say that it was quite a gorgeous day...

My buddy Sam Carlson and I went out to get in some early season turns while I was visiting Tacoma (from Boulder) for the weekend. We discussed hitting the Sahale Arm but the long haul and unknown conditions led us to the closer Chinook Pass off of 410.
Upon arriving at the pass early we found the snow to be a little thin (as in, too rocky to be worth it). But we decided to give the ridge a try. We were rewarded with a nicely filled-in pitch that lead up from the trail. After waiting for the sun to heat the crusted upper layer we dropped in, making descent turns back to the trail. Lapped it once, then decided to head for the far peak along the ridge.
Upon reaching the peak we saw another nice aspect just beyond. We skirted around the cliffed-out peak to hit it up and found a nice stash of wind-blown powder that lead to a small lake below. Skinned back up to the saddle and then to the hardened snowfield leading back to the ridge.
Hiked the ridge until we found the trail to be skiable and took it all the way back to the car.
Good one; some folks thought Chinook too thin.

It sure looked thin from the pass, but if you just make your way up the trail to the west there are quite a few sections still worth skiing, the coverage was enough that we didn't sustain any injuries whatsoever to our skis. 

Also Sam expressed an interest in getting out with some TAYers (it's apparent that he's outgrown the Univ. of Puget Sound's bc crowd), so you should all hit him up at scarlson at ups dot edu (I think he may have a TAY account too, but I have no clue what it is).

"Mt. Baker" NF?

So this is the sam dave was referring to earlier..he is most certainly on track in saying i'd be stoked in getting out with some folks from the tay community so that's that.

As for the tour itself, even without considering the initially grim expectations set by all the bare ground we saw on the rive in, the day certianly deserved an all round rating of superb. A hoot and a holler for heavily shaded aspects!!

And to respond Billk, I think Dave-o might have been confused by the "entering baker-snoqualmie national forest" sign coming back on 410...

Thanks...I was confused...thought I might have missed a cool place up near Baker ;D

Reply to this TR

october-28-2007-chinook-pass-mt-baker-nat-for
dmandave
2007-10-28 22:48:55