Home > Trip Reports > Oct 28, 2007, Mclure rock

Oct 28, 2007, Mclure rock

10/28/07
Posted by Robie on 10/28/07 11:49am
Well , I was a last minute add on to this trip and as such I was designated as scribe. Kinda like when you leave a Mountainer meeting to go to the john or don't show you are made chairman of some such committee. I usually don't like to go with Ron J because when I go he slacks off and leaves all the decisions to me. Darryl ,Mad dog and Jw were party to all this sluffing as well. So anyway I opted for the easy tour up to Mclure rock via edith basin /golden gate . Can't say enough bout the sunshine and veiws. And damn if the snow wasn't first quality corn. We did have to thread our way through some bony spots but it was skiable back down to the new Day lodge. There was a few spots of deskiing but not much.  Easy tour lots of fun with good friends.
questions unanswered
1) Why doesn't 7/11 sell margarita icees like Ron makes ?
2) Would'nt JW be more photogenic if he fell once in a while?
3) Is it true that Mad Dog learned to ski at a Swiss convent named "Our Lady of the turns"
My dreams have been answered! A picture of Jarvis hucking some air!
That one for the desktop!
Way to go Mr.Jarvis and the gang. :D

Yeah I know ,I wanted to put some catty words to the picture but I figured a picture is worth a thousand words!

Ron!
You look 20 years younger.  Love the air shot.

We need a new TAY logo featuring the Ron huckin' air photo!  Wow, sorry to have missed it...

Hope to see the gang for November turns!  :)

author=Scotsman link=topic=8042.msg32157#msg32157 date=1193627270">
My dreams have been answered! A picture of Jarvis hucking some air!

Carefull there Scottie, you might give Ron the idea that he should try the halfpipe at Whistler  ;).  It was a fantastic day with great friends.  8).

Using some sophisticated time-lapse camera equipment I was able to catch the now legendary Jarvis Jump in it's entirety.  The bro clearly got some big air! 8)

nice tour, nice weather, the nicest companions!

Now that's some air!

That's the stuff legends are made from!

I had hear rumors of a jet pack in Ron's backpack.  It is rumored to be alcohol fueled- or was that he operator?  He must have been hanging with that snoslut too much.

author=Rickster link=topic=8042.msg32230#msg32230 date=1193861335]
It is rumored to be alcohol fueled- or was that he operator?

Ron was fueled by a margarita slushy rather than the usual party-in-the-mouth fuel. 

I have seen pictures of Ron using the famous Jarvis gel to "ignite" his skis.

You guys look like you had a ton of fun! Sure wish I was in town to enoy those turns that are gradually getting closer and closer to the car. I see turns in my future, as in this weekend, will pm one of you all to see where the crew is going.

Nice Dead Soldier Ronj!  Keeping them legs straight even on the landing though...DAMN!  Next thing you know Ronj will be looking for those huck to flats. ;D

Hummm.....
Talk about thread drift... turn my back for a couple of days, and ::)

Heh, heh -- Jerry I see what you did now;  you had me there for a minute.  What I couldn't figure out was that I took that jacket off much higher than the terrain in your picture.
Then I finally figured it out -- Ah Ha! you transposed one of the jumps I did much higher up on to that lower terrain!!  Clever!
Took me I while but I finally got it, eh?

One thing that's been bothering me tho; maybe you regular hucksters can help me with this:
Why is it so difficult to initiate turns while airborne?

So much about backcountry skiing is more about friends and fun.  That's what make it such a pleasurable endeavor for me.  This creamy corn skiing is just another example.  We're so lucky to have these mountains to share with our friends, eh?

I read a book one time, something about aerodynamics(?)- haven't read one since- unless they have pictures.  But it was saying to change direction you increase the wind load.  So thinking about what you might carry in your pack that might be a somewhat flat surface, predicting your height and weight, I'd suggest you need a metal surface approximately 4"x8".  When you get in the air, hold the metal container in it an extended arm.  This will help you turn in mid air and upon completion- a smooth landing(?) take a shot from said metal container.

There ya go.
I knew somebody would have a the answer.  ;)

Nice jump Ronj, very impressive too since I know how heavy that pack of yours is. Way to show off those tree trunk legs doing their thing.

JW's photo tells the story you couldn't keep hidden forever. I've heard that you usually save your big airs for the solitude and privacy of a whiteout, but it looks like something got into you this day. You busted loose and now it's captured on film,... kinda' like bigfoot caught out in the clearcut. There's no going back now!

D.B. Cooper, Sasquatch, Air-Jarvis. The PNW never ceases to fascinate!

Reply to this TR

oct-28-2007-mclure-rock
Robie
2007-10-28 18:49:36