Home > Trip Reports > Oct27/07,Table Mountain

Oct27/07,Table Mountain

10/15/07
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by Telemon on 10/28/07 2:47am
Nick BC and I were approached last week by a TAYer, who shall remain nameless, about the possibility of skiing at Baker this weekend. Communication lines were interrupted Friday, but Nick and I decided to go ahead on the oft chance that we would still cross paths. We had just arrived at the upper Baker Ski Area parking lot when Scotsman and his husky pulled in beside us. So one TAYer replaced another TAYer.

The snow volume had shrunk from last Saturday's reports of 1-2 feet at car level, but there was still more than my first trip of the month. There was enough snow coverage by Austin Pass to skin. However, we abandoned our original plan of climbing to the top of the Shuksan Arm. It appeared that there was more rock than snow. The snowfield on Table's eastern flank looked ski able, so we took some turns there (photo 1). We dropped around to the summer trail on the south side of Table. Snow was absent from the first section just past the trees so we decided to follow a reasonable smooth 300' line down instead of staying on the trail. (photo 2+3)

Traveling cross-country we worked our way through the rock gardens and drainage systems to reach the starting point of the Ptarmigan Ridge trail. Here we met Slo-Steve and his brother who were exploring the area for the first time. After some refreshments we had several rewarding runs in soft snow on the east side of the ridge connected to Ptarmigan Mountain. We returned on the Table Mt. trail which turned out to be about 90% snow covered. After skiing down to Austin Pass we still had not had enough ski time , so we slid down the road to the Meadows visitor center. Except for the hikers on the road we had only seen a few people all day. We got our share of the sunshine, enjoyed good companionship and even made some decent descents.
Telemon:
On Sunday the 28th, Lara P., Derek, Chuck R. and myself saw your tracks leading to those nice (yes, thinly-covered as well) snow fields below Table. We decided to look first to look first at the snow coverage below Mount Herman by traversing around the lake. As that proved very fruitless, we then crossed the snow patches on the lake and booted up to just below the same large rock promontory as your fotos show. We were able to put in 2 nice runs before time to head home. For such thin coverage, the semi-hardened corn was a delight. Sure beats sitting at home wishing we could!!

Fotos to follow soon...

Telemon,
              Thanks for the guided tour. You obviously know and love the area well. I was very lucky to bump into you and Nick in the parking lot. It was a long drive for me but so worthwhile as the views of Shuksan and Baker are so spectacular. It was a great day out and my husky, Chugach had a great day as well. :D

What a fun day and it was great to meet up with the other Scotsman!  We'll have to do that again.

Who the heck is the "other" Scotsman?  ;)

Since your handle is telemack, you may have heard of a little place known as telemarktips. The "other" Scotsman lives there. If this site allowed more pictures, I would show you one with him in a kilt. ::) ::) ;D ;D

the telemark tips Scotsman may be an imposter. He would need to prove he is a real scotsman and that he wears nothing under his kilt! ;)

author=Scotsman link=topic=8039.msg32208#msg32208 date=1193800506]
the telemark tips Scotsman may be an imposter. He would need to prove he is a real scotsman and that he wears nothing under his kilt! ;)

I'm not sure of the Ttip's Scotsman's underwear proclivities, but I'm told, on good authority, that the exit door of the Scots Guards' barracks has a mirror on the floor so the Sergeant-Major can check that none of the troopers exiting for manouvres or a night on the town are wimping out  ;D

Reply to this TR

oct27-07-table-mountain
Telemon
2007-10-28 09:47:29