Home > Trip Reports > October 27, 2007, Heliotrope Ridge, Mt. Baker

October 27, 2007, Heliotrope Ridge, Mt. Baker

10/27/07
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by jd on 10/28/07 1:59am
Coleman Glacier Panorama

A bit of a hike to get to skiable snow (upper 1,200 ft.) but well worth it.

The cold morning, and a slight breeze at the parking lot, had me worried that my light gloves wouldn't cut it, but thankfully it warmed up as we hiked. The trail was tricky in places due to water ice, but melted/crunched up by late afternoon when we descended.

Traverse to Marmot Ridge

I changed from hiking boots to skis and skins just above the moraine. We took a westerly traverse into the bowl skier's right of the upper ridge to avoid the crevasses above, and were doubly happy we did since we found 5 inches of smooth light dry snow over a firm and icy base in the more protected bowl.

Mt. Baker - Colfax/Lincoln Peaks Panorama

Scott and I skied down the west side of Heliotrope while Jeff and Jameson traversed over to the end of Marmot Ridge for a steeper rolling line.

Our second run wasn't quite as good due to the clouds thickening and poor light.
Your conditions were really not a lot different than what we experienced at the end of July. Although, where you had ice on the hogsback, we had flowers. We did not have fresh powder but still enjoyed nice turns on Heliotrope Ridge. I haven't skied into the Marmot Ridge area, so that will have to be a future trip.

JD doing what he does best!

Good times and amazing snow for an october ski.  That "steeper rolling" line made for some awesome early season GS turns! 

JD I'm glad we didn't find any of the bad snow conditions you were worrying about that morning!  Oh and it sounds like RAGNAR was a hit later on.

Reply to this TR

october-27-2007-heliotrope-ridge-mt-baker
jd
2007-10-28 08:59:29