Home > Trip Reports > Oct 27, 2007, Popular Paradise

Oct 27, 2007, Popular Paradise

10/27/07
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by silaswild on 10/27/07 2:02pm
Warm weather this week suggested Paradise as the best place to still be able to drive to skiable snow.  Turns out that we hiked about a mile on the pavement, past Alta Vista, before we started skinning today just after 10AM.  Some folks were using ski crampons.

Many skiers and boarders were in attendance, but seemed like fewer TAY faithful than last week, perhaps the TAYers are waiting for November now that they have October in the bag?  Snow began softening quickly in the bright sun and warm temps (45+ degrees) with little wind until 9500' level.  Snow for the first 700' down from Muir was crusty with powder beneath, and wavy rolls (hard to explain, guess you had to be there.)

The rest of the way down from 9500' was smooth creamed corn along the border of Muir Snowfield and Paradise Glacier.  Lots of melt since last week made for a few dirt and rock crossings on skis (free stone grind?)  We found Pan Face discontinuous, maybe others were more fortunate or more savvy.  From there, it was possible to thread a route all the way back to within 50 yds of the visitor center parking lot, which was full.  Cars were parked on both sides of the road from half a mile below the lot, nice end of summer day up there. 

I probally would have been up there with ya if not for concerns concerning my new old coche. I'm glad the Chilean boarder patrol didn't end up busting you for the bandito glisse. Did you see any folks heading up the Nisqually?

author=silaswild link=topic=8033.msg32121#msg32121 date=1193547727]
  Snow for the first 700' down from Muir was crusty with powder beneath, and wavy rolls (hard to explain, guess you had to be there.)

The rest of the way down from 9500' was smooth creamed corn along the border of Muir Snowfield and Paradise Glacier.  Lots of melt since last week made for a few dirt and rock crossings on skis (free stone grind?)  We found Pan Face discontinuous, maybe others were more fortunate or more savvy. 

We termed the snow: Jell-O.  It was strange consistency. (full meal deal report)
What do you mean Pan Face wasn't continuous?  With a clever mix of snow and "soft grass" terrain we made it down.  Sort of. :)
Can't wait for November now!

author=Teleskichica link=topic=8033.msg32128#msg32128 date=1193583283]
We termed the snow: Jell-O.  It was strange consistency. (full meal deal report)
What do you mean Pan Face wasn't continuous?  With a clever mix of snow and "soft grass" terrain we made it down.  Sort of. :)

we couldn't find a continuous line down pan face yesterday either--maybe the snow just melted that much in two days?  great day though!

author=Teleskichica link=topic=8033.msg32128#msg32128 date=1193583283]

I meant to say we were unable to find a continuously snow covered line down Pan Face; we did however find a way not to remove skis from Muir to 50yds from the parking lot. 

Silas shredding the corn:

Beautiful day! My TR's here.

If you were a part of a threesome (skis on pack sides, A-frame skis, snowboard - not the group pictured in the TR, though I've got a few of them too... ) that booted past me and up the summer trail as I scraped up the winter route just after dawn, email/PM me for photos.

"A clever skier will often find an oasis of good snow while the rest of the party ... within a few yards of her ... are struggling with soft grass "
sorry I couldn't resist!

author=danhelmstadter link=topic=8033.msg32122#msg32122 date=1193548156]
Did you see any folks heading up the Nisqually?

Another Dave, Sky, Tony, and I went up to the fixed line below the Kautz ice cliff at 11.4k.  The chute up the cliff was unskiabe, so we baked in the sun for a while then enjoyed the nice turns.  My camera USB cable is at an undisclosed location, so no pics for now.

author=Robie link=topic=8033.msg32164#msg32164 date=1193631903]
"A clever skier will often find an oasis of good snow while the rest of the party ... within a few yards of her ... are struggling with soft grass "
sorry I couldn't resist!

Thanks, Robie! ::)

Reply to this TR

oct-27-2007-popular-paradise
silaswild
2007-10-27 21:02:07