Home > Trip Reports > The Full Muir Deal: Post-Thanksgiving Day . . .

The Full Muir Deal: Post-Thanksgiving Day . . .

10/15/07
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Teleskichica on 10/27/07 11:39am
Today, Chris Cass, myself and Glenn got an early start for what is now recognized as "Paradise Ski Resort" and beat the masses to Camp Muir for my first trip to said location.
At the top, we socialized and dined quickly, then stripped the skins for a return trip down.  Menu (aka Snow Report) as follows:
Jello--10,000-9,000 feet.  It was a strange consistency, almost spongy like. 
Corn--9,000-7,000 or less? buttery and sweet late fall harvest.
Mashed potatoes--7,000-6,000 good thing we had an early start, things were getting heavy, and we were getting full.
Turkey Bones--yes, folks, last week's warm spell did a number on the snow coverage at the base and things were looking pretty picked over and bare.

End Result:  Fully satisfied!!!  What a gorgeous day! 8)

(Chris was paparazzi for the afternoon, pictures to come.)
What a difference a week makes! From mid-winter-like last Saturday to late-spring-like this Saturday!  Great seeing the many familiar faces out there today and meeting some new folks along the way as well!
I'll try to resize/post a link to some additional pics later.

Muir ,one of the great tours! And on new skis to boot ?
thanks for the report .

New skis:  Thank goodness not yet.  They don't need that much detuning.  Unfortunately, I still haven't had a chance to get the new boards mounted.  Just as well--I'll enjoy my new 'rock' skis till things fill in better.

author=Teleskichica link=topic=8032.msg32129#msg32129 date=1193583438">
I'll enjoy my new 'rock' skis till things fill in better.
All skis are rock skis.  ;D
The rest of the photos are now posted here.

Good job, folks.  I was invited but I'm still in rockjock mode, so I settled for perfect temps. on the Upper Wall at Index.  Next turns in Nov.?

A good day all around.  Cass, I got a few of you and all of my pics can be found here:
http://staff.washington.edu/jstern77/gallery/paradise_ski

The leftovers are rotten . . .
Windblown, breakable crust and a lot of frozen crud.  At least from Pan Point.  The wind was so strong we stopped and turned around because the snow just wasn't worth the effort.  What a disappointment after yesterday's champagne brunch at Chinook.

Reply to this TR

the-full-muir-deal-post-thanksgiving-day
Teleskichica
2007-10-27 18:39:37