Home > Trip Reports > Oct 21, 2007, Wesach (Near Terrace, BC)

Oct 21, 2007, Wesach (Near Terrace, BC)

10/21/07
Canada BC
Posted by NWBCer on 10/23/07 2:26pm
Hi ya'll. I'm a BC skier from BC. Love the fact that there is a place in cyberspace for all you freaks. I did have a streak of 48 mo once... sigh. Anyway I get out most months and up here there are lots of possibilities. Latest was last Saturday in an area about 1.5 hours drive from Terrace (about 1000km N of Vancouver). Scattered clouds after a week of cold grey wetness finally allowed us to view what we knew would be snow capped peaks. A brisk hour or so hike from the truck and it was time to skin up. 1st run was a 8 or 900 ft warmup on 30 - 35 degree silk (20cm of dry ego snow). 2nd run we climbed about 2000' to top out on a subpeak. The run out was at least 2500 of fantastic skiing, not crazy angle (max'd about 35) but perfect. Snowpack at 5000' elev was 1.5m. I estimated 1m was snow from this year, 0.5m was remnants from last years record snowpack round these parts.  Top 20cms was storm snow so we stuck to conservative lines. I will try to post photos when I get this computron stuff figured out. Powder to you all!
Wow, that looks like a really cool area! I'd love to see some pictures and more reports.

Welcome to the group.  Looking forward to the photos.  It is great to get reports from different regions.

author=NWBCer link=topic=8014.msg32017#msg32017 date=1193203569]
Hi ya'll. I'm a BC skier from BC. Love the fact that there is a place in cyberspace for all you freaks. I did have a streak of 48 mo once... sigh. Anyway I get out most months and up here there are lots of possibilities. Latest was last Saturday in an area about 1.5 hours drive from Terrace (about 1000km N of Vancouver). Scattered clouds after a week of cold grey wetness finally allowed us to view what we knew would be snow capped peaks. A brisk hour or so hike from the truck and it was time to skin up. 1st run was a 8 or 900 ft warmup on 30 - 35 degree silk (20cm of dry ego snow). 2nd run we climbed about 2000' to top out on a subpeak. The run out was at least 2500 of fantastic skiing, not crazy angle (max'd about 35) but perfect. Snowpack at 5000' elev was 1.5m. I estimated 1m was snow from this year, 0.5m was remnants from last years record snowpack round these parts.  Top 20cms was storm snow so we stuck to conservative lines. I will try to post photos when I get this computron stuff figured out. Powder to you all!

awesome  - access from the Nass road?

Sweet, thanks for the report! Only two more weeks untill I move back to Terrace from the evil concrete jungle of Van.

I hiked up Wesach in august and can't wait to ski up there. How far can you drive up there at this point.

Cheers Dave

Good to see some more representation from British Columbia on TAY. We are definitely a minority here.

Hey again TAY people, wow what a crew. Some answers for you:
danhelmstadter - well as soon as i figure out how to bloody put pics up, i will. yep it is a very cool area and pretty damn easy access for about 6 months a year anyway.
zap - thanks for the welcome, see above about the photos. i'm a luddite, so i figure my buddy guido (who coincidently/apparently also just stumbled upon this site) will figure out the photo thing first.
Leel - yep nass road (or Nisga'a Hwy #118) about 40 minutes N of Terrace, you know it?? There is also some amazing skiing "up the nass" even closer to Terrace at the right time.
DaveD - Hell, you should have had your skies with in august man! Guido was up there a few times. Great to hear your coming back to Terrace! Are you the same Dave I took my level 1 with in 96?
Telemon - thanks buddy, you know we've got some of the best year round skiingup here. I look forward to a beautiful relationship with TAY. Cheers everyone (and sorry about the lack of photos - soon come mon, soon come.)

Hey NWBCer,

This is not the Dave from level one but is this the Gary who I went to Kitkatla with this summer for a day. I work for dediluke in town.

Back next week, can`t wait.

Cheers Dave

heya dave! yep it's me - great to hear you're on your way back man, gonna come work for us yet?... kidding kidding. skiing is quite good these days - i could show you if i could figure out how to post phots. quick get back to town so you can show this old ludditie how to do it. safe travels, give me a holler when you get here, we'll go out. gm.

hey what do you know! here's some more...

ok i'm on a roll, couple more - welcome to north western BC bros! (and bras).

so very jealous of BC snowpack.  shots like those make me want to have instant access.  maybe i'll train for a helocopter, get rich, and fly myself to any isolated BC town i wish and go touring with the locals.  one week rogers pass, one week coast range, maybe i'll park my chopper above bella coola for an afternoon jaunt...

author=NWBCer link=topic=8014.msg32190#msg32190 date=1193724163]
hey what do you know! here's some more...

looks like some avi debris?

yep, there was a cycle probably a couple of weeks before Oct 21. Basically we were getting accumulations above 5000' (in some areas) from mid September. We had some fresh snow up there while skiing in August.

On Oct 21 we still stuck to very conservative lines (up and down).

Reply to this TR

oct-21-2007-wesach-near-terrace-bc
NWBCer
2007-10-23 21:26:09