10-22-07, Berthoud Pass, Colorado

10/22/07
US elsewhere
Posted by MW88888888 on 10/22/07 5:36am
Day 2
10-22-2007
Berthoud Pass, Colorado

I received Sean's email with a grin. 

I didn't think he'd ski this weekend ("18" and I'm in!") and hadn't been following the weather as family was in town and I juggled commitments...until Saturday night and our plans for Estes Park were cancelled due to 8" of snow expected the next day.  What the hell was this?  An actual snowstorm?

Then Sunday afternoon Sean's email arrives.  12-14" new when he left - an actual snowstorm, indeed.   And the picture - damn, that looks like winter!  Quick negotiations with the family and a plan was set,  I set the alarm for 4 am.

Arriving at the pass at 6:30 am, it was still dark and 9 degrees.  Welcome back to the Continental divide, my friend, it was good to be back.  The Subaru didn't have studs on yet, but handled the slippery wind blown snow with aplomb.  There was one other car in the lot with a skier getting his gear in order.  The lot looked ok, not storm skiing, and certainly not Muir in February, but it didn't look like October in NYC, either, and I got all giddy inside.

A tradition is a tradition, and I pulled on the 10 year old Super Comps, attaching the even older re-glued skins, and clipped into the wobbly three pins.  I really need to get another tele set up. Yeah, add it to the list.  I grinned.

The new snow from the day before looked like a ten dollar whore at Long Beach on the open ski slope right above the road, the kids were certainly at work yesterday.  Sean suggested 2 foot drifts where the wind had deposited, I wonder where he found that...I looked to the skies and followed my nose.  The sky lightened and red glowing fire arose from behind School of Mines Peak across the way.  It was going to be a bluebird day.  Of course.

The gentlemen who arrived first in the lot had the same idea as I, and as I rounded a patch of trees I followed his track down the front face.  I stopped above the cliff bands and checked out the descent.  My oh my, that looks fine.  Wonder if I'll need my glasses?  The first skiers tracks arced down the face and I could see there was a good foot of new on top of...well, trees, shrubs and rocks.  Of course.  But in between, fine, fine powder.  What Colorado lacks in quantity, it certainly makes up for in quality.

I leaned forward into the fall line, my skinny skis easily slicing through the super dry pow -

CHEST SHOT

Holy Christ!

FACE SHOT

Good god almighty!

Sean's tempting photo of 10-21-07:
It's great to see some pics from colorfull Colorado, looks like the coverage isn't all that bad either, although the wind is wicked up there above the trees, your lucky if there is any snow on/near the divide, even in late winter.

author=MW88888888 link=topic=7999.msg31952#msg31952 date=1193085374]
  What Colorado lacks in quantity, it certainly makes up for in quality.

Watch those steeps man, this is a great website; it's tempting to go back and be an observer for these guys-                            http://avalanche.state.co.us/.html

Reply to this TR

10-22-07-berthoud-pass-colorado
MW88888888
2007-10-22 12:36:14