Home > Trip Reports > Oct 21, 2007, Paradise Rando, Board, and Tele Rally

Oct 21, 2007, Paradise Rando, Board, and Tele Rally

10/21/07
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by silaswild on 10/21/07 2:42pm
1015 Longmire gate opening allowed for lots of reacquainting, extra nap time, and breakfast for the crowd of TAY faithful who arrived early.  The ranger pickup truck led a 30 vehicle procession to Jackson Visitor Center, beyond which the road is closed and unplowed, apparently for the season.  There was about a foot of heavy new powder atop another foot of base.  Most folks headed for Muir, wind picked up above Pan Point, some bailed toward Golden Gate.

Roll call, please sign in:
Corey, Jason, Josh, Phil, Sky, Robert, Steve, Maryg,Rick, Robie and ????

Rumors of Jeanette, Jerry, Ron also in the 'hood.

NateR, BeckyB, Q, powtoy, cathy, Murray and just about everyone else under the sun (or clouds) as well.

i had to work the whole weekend :( 

who wants to ski on Tuesday!

Myself (Spltbrdr), Snowtroll and 3 others were up there as well...ended up skiing the Nisqually Chutes which were in wonderful shape.

Anyone know why the late gate opening?? Working out the early season kinks?  Increase breakfast traffic @ Longmire???

I got out there too! With Em and Alex. I had a great day with Steve, Rob and Jen.
So much fun for Oct!
A surprised tourist even asked Em which way the ski lift was. ;D

So did anyone from this mega-herd take any pictures that they're willing to post?

author=silaswild link=topic=7996.msg31932#msg31932 date=1193031761">
...Rumors of Jeanette, Jerry, Ron also in the 'hood.

Rumor confirmed, Silas.
But, Unfortunately, we missed skiing.  We were busy ferrying in winter supplies to a nearby cabin that we use in the winter.  Almost waited too long!!
And you can see from these pics who did the majority of the work!!

Skied the nisqually chutes for an amazing set of face shots for one of the best times I've ever been down them. Good times, first tracks. Totally awesome! I'm getting too spoiled. I feel like a snot-nosed kid with an over-attentive mother who wants and get ice cream for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Heck, whenever he wants :).

I felt like a Boeing Van Pool driver - there were six of us -Rusty Knees, Snow Bell, Moscawulff, Dan, Molly and Joe.  Snow Bell and MW went up near Muir, the rest of us stopped at Pan Point and invented new ways to get down through the rocks.  What a great winter adventure!

Was among the many others and saw another dozen folks I knew and all in the same place, pretty rare.  Great times were had!

I was also up there, made it to near the base of anvil on the paradise glacier side when the weather gods allowed no mercy bringing high winds and face cutting ice shrapnel with immediately dissapearing visability. I should have turned around lower and lapped some runs before the vis. went bad. The turns I did get were nice when I could see more than a foot in front of me. Guess I got too ambitious and wanted the max vert. Oh well. Good day nonetheless, nice to get the skis on and make some kick turns.

yup, too much exploring, looking for the best stash, and goodbye visibility. was up there the day before in the afternoon, and i can tell you that the snow was the lightest, fluffiest powder i've seen since last feb/march's 9 foot powder dump. too bad the freezing level had to rise 2000' feet...

Silas - you were napping in the car at Longmire, but I did chat with Rick, then we went for breakfast, the gate opened and we let the crowd get a head start before our group started up.  Lisa, Jon, Mr. Burns and I had a nice easy skin up and stuck to our 3PM turn around time. So missed seeing you on the hill. Some folks I know did not get down until 7PM and had great difficulty route finding in the whiteout, no wands or tracks to follow. The rangers were already gathering information about the 'missing' skiers when they finally showed up.
Glad they are home safe.
Anyhow, great to have SNOW, wind, COLD, sleet, etc. Nothing is more exhilerating than a day like yesterday in the mountains.
Congrats to Lisa R. on 12 months of turns!

also found out Robie is Mr. Burns' next door neighbor! So now he must reveal the stash cause... we know were you live. ;D

author=maryg link=topic=7996.msg31958#msg31958 date=1193097090]
...also found out Robie is Mr. Burns' next door neighbor! So now he must reveal the stash cause... we know were you live. ;D

Robie is a baptized, card carrying member of the Stash Skiers Guild and cannot be deterred from the creed by threats, intimidation or coercion (alcohol, however; well, ...).
Nonetheless, like all the guild skiers, Robie is a giving person to the worthy bc skier.  He will willingly show the location of this ethereal place to skiers who agree to the protocol and are worthy of such knowledge.  Such is the way of the Stash Skiers Guild.

Well ,I was in the middle of my response post to MARy G. I guess Ron summed up it up pretty well.   But I am wondering what kind of alcohol you would be using to bribe me?
Hopefully we will keep getting some snow  and the stash question can be put off till next late spring/summer.
The pleasures of Paradise are many.
Dave Thomas and I did a big tour up Alta vista ,down Edith basin ,up near golden Gate then down to the horseshoe bend.And finally up and down Mazama. Reminder to myself, never leave bad snow to find more bad snow!
We were heading for the north facing back bowl to find snow out of the solar radiation. We wore out and didn't make. We did run into a nice couple who skied the Avalanche slope tight against and just north of the trees and they were pretty happy.

Dave on the 4th crossing bridge. Always a fun endeavor

I was out with a group of 4 near Paradise on Saturday, and saw a few other groups also out enjoying the snow storm.  Snowing hard during the entire outing and "white room"/windy conditions deterred us from ascending above Glacier Vista.  Found some nice, albiet short runs lower down with excellent light powder up to almost 2 feet deep in places, though the combination of flat light/near zero visibility/uneven terrain-small gullies-drop-offs made for some amusing tele face-plants (I can't remember the last time I skied so poorly, but it was still a good time overall). 
Also, we found the longmire gate open on our way through at ~7:45 am, but were slightly amused to find a few inches of fresh snow covering the road just above longmire which was unplowed until about Narada Falls.   

Silas, wasn't this TR from Sunday, October TWENTY-FIRST?  Otherwise lots of folks are:
-playing hooky from work, and
-posting with a time machine.  ???

author=telemack link=topic=7996.msg31985#msg31985 date=1193115234]
Silas, wasn't this TR from Sunday, October TWENTY-FIRST? 

Yup, d'oh!   Hmm, gate was open at 7:45AM Saturday, and snow on the road, Cass?  Rangers took their safety patrol responsibility more seriously on Sunday I guess.

I'll chip in a few pics (just thumbs since we're pushing the image quota):

We were between cloud layers for a bit, which made for a nice horizon

mas, if you want to see 'em

spltbrdr, i like your theory about the gates being closed to force business to the restaurant. we were speculating the same thing.  normally the servers seem annoyed with the bum skiers loitering in the restaurant, but they were peculiarly happy to have us this time.

Nisqually Chute was ridiculously good with windbuff explosions galore

author=silaswild link=topic=7996.msg31987#msg31987 date=1193116574">
 Hmm, gate was open at 7:45AM Saturday, and snow on the road, Cass?
Yeah, we thought there might be a long delay at the Longmire gate Saturday morning, but we were pleasantly surprised to find it open.  However, we did see several cars in the ditch on our way down the road in the early afternoon.  Here’s what the Paradise road looked like just before the Nisqually Bridge on the drive up early Saturday morning (note the “approved traction tires advised” signage). :)

more photos of the 'rally' at:
http://picasaweb.google.com/jaymehelgeson/RainierinOctober

video at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QusnhucnUc

author=skykilo link=topic=7996.msg31994#msg31994 date=1193162721]
Nisqually Chute was ridiculously good with windbuff explosions galore

Only one week earlier it wasn't quite there...but this weekend was $$$$$$$

The Nisqually Chutes were incredible! It was great to see so many people and to meet new ones.
Thanks for the good time!

Reply to this TR

oct-21-2007-paradise-rando-board-and-tele-rally
silaswild
2007-10-21 21:42:41