Home > Trip Reports > Mt Hood South Side 10/21/2001

Mt Hood South Side 10/21/2001

10/15/07
OR Mt Hood
Posted by spark on 10/21/07 11:12am
With the multitudes of people up on the South side of Hood today, got to say I am surprised there is no posting yet.  Having watched the forecast and weather stations yesterday (along with the nearly 2" of rain in Portland) I figured the coverage would be excellent today.

My two friends, Austin, Geoff, and myself started climbing up from the Timberline parking lot at 8 am.  Excited by the 17" that fell yesterday we commenced the climb up the climber's route towards silcox. The ridge was scoured but the a nice soft layer of styrofoam lay ontop of the ground. After reaching the top of Palmer we traversed over to white river canyon and found a nice 500-600 foot, steep, east-facing pitch. Yo-yo'ed that a few times to find some of the best conditions of the day. Very moveable snow on the leeward side of the ridge. The sun came out from behind the clouds on the skin up from white river canyon back to the south face. The conditions closer to the lodge became fairly creamy and deep, more representative of the total amount of snow that fell.

Great coverage overall, with especially loaded leeward aspects. Suppose that is often the case with T-line.

Left the lot at 1000. Tons of people up on Hood.

Highpoint of 10000 ft. At the time, I think I was the first one to go that high. A few people went a little above the top of palmer.

THe higher I went, the better the snow was. I am amazed at how quickly the wind and temp consolidated the snow.

I was foolish enough to go up on Saturday and there was 1-3 ft of powder, too bad I couldnt enjoy it during the lashing winds.

dre'

I think we saw Dre up high ahead of us at timberline today.  Our party of 3 made it up to about 9,600 ft before the cloud ceiling began to drop.  We had a good ski down and hit the gullies for some fun drops once in the lift area.  Our friend Rhonda was kind enough to drive the car down to meet us on Hwy 26, so we kept it going all the way down the alpine trail, which had surprisingly good coverage.  All told, it was a continuous run of nearly 6,000 ft vertical - not bad for October!

Dave

Reply to this TR

mt-hood-south-side-10-21-2001
spark
2007-10-21 18:12:56