Home > Trip Reports > October 21, 2007, Chinook Pass

October 21, 2007, Chinook Pass

10/21/07
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Merk on 10/21/07 11:00am
Jay, Jaime, and myself set out this morning with an initial plan to ski at Sunrise today, but to our suprise, the gate was closed at the White River entrance.  So, we continued on 410 a bit further to have a look at Chinook Pass.  We were pleasantly suprised with the 2-3 ft on the ground there and decent coverage on the slopes just off the hwy. 

We opted to Yo-Yo a nice little slope above the hwy offering 400 ft per yo.  There was plenty of fresh to cut up and the snow was pretty fun up above 5800.  After lap 5 we headed back down the truck where the brews were waiting in the snowbank and we celebrated our 24th month in style!
I didn't expect the snow to be that good after the reports we got in the parking lot. But it turned out to be a great day. Especially the post slide party with Snowdawg Jr. trying to railslide the tree.

Looks like you were at the Forest side of the pass, parked at Latrines?  We were there on the 20th - but on the park side of the pass. It was special  ;D!

We were sure we were dreaming that it was February but we did not need to do the six (or is it eight?) mile slog from Crystal to get there.  Skiied right out of the car for multiple YoYos in knee-deep whispy powder! We had it all to ourselved, saw some snowboarders at the Latrines but we presumed they stayed on the Forest side of pass.

When we were done we skiied back to car right on HWY 410 for a quarter mile.

I love winter 8)
Alisa

author=blitz link=topic=7991.msg31937#msg31937 date=1193063186"> We were there on the 20th - Skied right out of the car for multiple YoYos in knee-deep wispy powder!

Saturday was light, Sunday, uh..well it was powder...the day before. Really...
Saturday report here
Good Times!
Joe

Alisa, yes we did park at the latrines.  The run literally lead straight to them.  How convenient, huh?  It sure was a winter wonderland up there.  Wish it was always that way!  I can't help but post a couple more pics.  :D

What...No naked skiing?

author=OldHouseMan link=topic=7991.msg32004#msg32004 date=1193188938]
What...No naked skiing?

Nahh,  the shrinkage factor was much too great under these conditions.  I'll have to wait for the next naked-skiing season.  ;D

Reply to this TR

october-21-2007-chinook-pass
Merk
2007-10-21 18:00:16