Home > Trip Reports > Mt. Baker - North Side October 14, 2007

Mt. Baker - North Side October 14, 2007

10/15/07
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by cmosetick on 10/16/07 5:04pm

-on the way down
After being unable to secure any ski buddies for a trip to Baker on Sunday, I decided to head up alone and enjoy the beautiful day up there by myself.  After all, I had a new setup that I have been putting together the last few months and I was dying to try it out!!  I left the trail head around 10am after working 12 hours on my feet the day before.  This left me with about 4 hours of sleep.  Even though I was still making decent time, my lack of sleep affected my performance on my accent more than I care to admit.  Once I got to steady snow, a second wind kicked in and before I knew it I was skinning at a brisk pace.  I would have loved a ski descent from the summit on such a gorgeous day, but my lack of sleep, energy, and late start time only brought me to around 8500 ft (estimate) before I decided to head down.
    Overall, it was a great trip on a beautiful day!!  If I could have got out of work on Saturday, this could have been a supreme two day trip with the excellent conditions this weekend.

For all the photos visit - http://www.the808.net/gallery/october-2007

-on the way up

-lets get skinning already

-one shot using my UltraPod II, mini light weight tripod and 20 second timer.
Hope you enjoyed your new setup during the outing.  Jill and I have the same ski and binding setup.  We have 40 plus days on the skis in all types of conditions in WA and Canada and down in Argentina and Chile. We have been impressed with the performance of the skis in all types of conditions.  Welcome to the group.

Thanks Zap.  I picked up my Kailas in June, and have been dying to use them since!!  It took me a few months to get my new boots and bindings as I wanted to get everything on sale if I could.  I ended up just getting my skis and boots on sale, but if I acted sooner, I could have got the bindings for a steal too!
      I was really impressed with the performance of the Kailas on my decent, and I can't wait to get some more turns in with them again.  I have been reading trip reports here for about a year but never joined because I didn't consider myself a year-round skier yet.  I officially started my year-round pursuits in August on the South side of Baker, but I was on skiable snow in May, June, and July, I just didn't have my skis with me!!  Thanks for the Welcome!

author=mosetick link=topic=7962.msg31851#msg31851 date=1192686927]
Thanks Zap.  I picked up my Kailas in June, and have been dying to use them since!!  It took me a few months to get my new boots and bindings as I wanted to get everything on sale if I could.  I ended up just getting my skis and boots on sale, but if I acted sooner, I could have got the bindings for a steal too!
      I was really impressed with the performance of the Kailas on my decent, and I can't wait to get some more turns in with them again.  I have been reading trip reports here for about a year but never joined because I didn't consider myself a year-round skier yet.  I officially started my year-round pursuits in August on the South side of Baker, but I was on skiable snow in May, June, and July, I just didn't have my skis with me!!  Thanks for the Welcome!

Nice report.  You should have joined a while ago, as there are a LOT of T(Almost)AY on the board, myself included.  Welcome!

Reply to this TR

mt-baker-north-side-october-14-2007
cmosetick
2007-10-17 00:04:05