Home > Trip Reports > October 13, 2007, Mt Hood South Side

October 13, 2007, Mt Hood South Side

10/13/07
OR Mt Hood
Posted by Pawkala on 10/14/07 10:45am
We took advantage of the short lived NICE weather and headed up to Timberline lodge Saturday morning.  What a great day.  It was soo nice to see the mountain covered in white this early in the year.  We were able to start skining about 5 minutes above the lodge.  Linking the snowpatches, we skinned all the way to just below the hogs back without having to take the skis off.  The sky was blue, wind was nill, and rock/snow fall was high by the time we started down at 2pm.  Fun to have corn in the fall.  Snow was pretty good below 9500 feet.  Patches of hard crust and corn up above that.  I was suprised as to how much snow cover there was.  I was expecting it to be alot thinner with rocks just below the surface...but there was only a few.  This next storm will only help.
Went up Sunday (10/14) and I was also pleasantly surprised how conditions had improved with the snow from the last few weeks.  I made it to ~9,000 feet before turning around and skiing. The Palmer snowfield was creamy and smoooov.

Followed the gullies down until just above the Lodge. Well over 2,500 ft vertical continuous run.

good work, wish I made it out there with ya.

Reply to this TR

october-13-2007-mt-hood-south-side
Pawkala
2007-10-14 17:45:07